Part 55

Snape apparated more than a block away from the building he was looking for. He deliberately walked in the wrong direction and cautiously observed his surroundings. He was wearing Muggle clothes: dark-blue jeans, dark-brown boots, a dark-gray hoodie, and an old navy-blue pea coat. The hood was pulled over his head obscuring his face. When he felt comfortable that he hadn't been followed, he circled around and proceeded to Lindsay's flat. She lived on the third floor of a nicely kept but average-looking Muggle building. The people across the hall from her were arguing loudly.

Loud music was coming from Lindsay's flat and Snape, suspecting danger, drew his wand. He tested the door, which was locked and looked up and down the hallway before opening it. He entered cautiously to see Lindsay with her back to him, washing dishes. Her hair was down and a little damp. She wore only a white silk dressing gown that fell just below mid-thigh. He could just make out the silhouette of her pale skin through the thin fabric. Parts of the dressing gown were see-through where her damp hair had dripped water on it and the wet silk clung to her body. He could smell the soft scent of the gardenia perfume he'd given her. A radio sat on the counter next to her. She yelled and jumped when she saw his hand reach from behind her to turn down the volume.

"You scared the hell out of me! But I'm glad to see you anyway." She flung her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. His arms remained stiffly at his sides. "It seems odd to see you in Muggle clothes," she said as she pulled the hood away from his face. "Nice choice though—very nondescript. Tea?" He nodded curtly. "Nobody visits except Albus, and I haven't seen him in almost a month."

"The Headmaster is traveling."

"Oh, I understand. Communication is dangerous."

"So is deafening yourself with loud music, and not watching your entryways. Anyone could have come in as easily as I did. Are you trying to draw attention to yourself?"

"No, I'm trying to drown-out my neighbors. I promise I'll be more careful, but only if you promise to stay for a bit. I really need some company. I'm going crazy here by myself."

"Are you certain that no one knows of this place?" Snape turned and looked around the room before stiffly sitting down on her couch. Lindsay set about making his tea.

"Not anyone from the Order except for Albus and obviously you. As for my Muggle friends, they all know I moved into Mr. Roberts' old place. I hate this apartment. I don't know why I kept it. It was one of Adam's. He had several; some were more upscale than others depending on the quality of company he wanted to entertain. His mother sold all but this one. It was convenient while I was in college. In fact, you can see the school if you look out that window—"

"Stay away from the windows," said Snape.

"Those noisy neighbors weren't here then," said Lindsay as she placed Snape's tea on the coffee table in front of him. He sat motionless with his back stiff and his hands gripping his knees. She sat next to him, facing him, and pulled her dressing gown together over her chest where it had tried to gape. "I'm bored out of my mind. All I do is pace and eat. Something wrong, Professor, you look tense?"

Without warning Snape lurched forward and kissed her roughly on the lips. The force moved her back a little, which Snape misinterpreted as Lindsay moving away from him. He looked embarrassed and angry as he bolted up from the couch. Lindsay was sitting closer to the door and was able to head him off. "No...no...no, don't shut down on me! You surprised me. That doesn't mean I didn't like it." She tucked behind his ears the curtain of hair that was shielding his face. "Look at me. You know I'm telling you the truth. You startled me; that's all. Please...just give me another chance."