Part 14

She visited Hagrid immediately after Madame Pomfrey released her. He was with the new Hippogriff. She climbed and sat on the wall of the animal's pen. Hagrid was trying to hand-feed him a dead ferret, but the Hippogriff stayed at the far end of the pen.

"Psst."

Hagrid turned; his first reaction was a bright-eyed smile, then his shoulders drooped as guilt crept into his face, and he cast his eyes to the ground. "I'm not upset with you, Hagrid. It could've happened to anyone. It was only a baby Acromantula, after all." She was at a perfect height to hug him.

"Still friends then?"

"The best," replied Lindsay with her trademark warm smile. Hagrid helped her down and offered her a dead ferret.

"Maybe you'll have better luck wi' 'im. He's not comin' 'round to me, that's fer sure."

The animal was cleaner, but still a dark grey color. His wounds were healing nicely, but he'd be heavily scarred for the remainder of his life. His wings were healed, but he refused to use them. He was still wild-eyed and thin despite regular feeding. Lindsay approached slowly and bowed respectfully. The Hippogriff snorted and stamped the earth. Lindsay remained still; sweat was beginning to bead on her brow. The Hippogriff snorted again and trotted around her. He eyed her cautiously then unexpectedly bowed back. She handed him the ferret; he sniffed it, but didn't take it.

"Hagrid," said Ron as he and Harry leaned over the pen. "How's the new...?" The Hippogriff panicked and ran for them, trampling over Lindsay as he rushed at the boys.

"Down!" shouted Hagrid. The boys dropped behind the pen wall as the Hippogriff smashed into it. Hagrid chased it away and took Lindsay back to the hospital wing. Madame Pomfrey was furious. "Angry Hippogriff," stammered Hagrid.

"Out!" shouted Pomfrey.

Lindsay had sustained broken ribs and would be released the following morning, but not until after a tongue-lashing from Madame Pomfrey for her carelessness. Immediately after Lindsay's reprimand, Professor McGonagall entered the room. Her lips were a thin line, and her eyes flashed in temper. Lindsay prepared herself for another round.

"Not out of the hospital wing a full hour before being readmitted. Well done, Miss Gray. I believe you've set a school record."

"It was an accident...."

"They always are. I suggest you be more cautious in the future, or I shall force precautions on you. Do I make myself clear, Miss Gray?"

"Yes, ma'am." McGonagall turned and left without further comment. "That is one scary woman," whispered Lindsay.

###

The following morning, Lindsay was out of bed and dressed before Madame Pomfrey even woke. She was unaccustomed to inactivity and disliked confinement. She was pacing the floor when Madame Pomfrey came to check on her.

"You're still bruised, Miss Gray, so you must curtail your activities. None of this running, and hiking, and dancing, and whatever other nonsense you get up to."

"Yes, ma'am, I'll take it easy. I promise." Lindsay turned to leave and was called back. Madame Pomfrey handed her a small jar of salve.

"Take this with you, unless you'd prefer the wounds on your legs to become scars."

Lindsay thanked Madame Pomfrey, pocketed the jar, and left to visit Hagrid. She found him feeding the Thestrals.

"What're yeh doin' out here? You should be restin'."

"I feel fine Hagrid. I'm stiff from lying in bed so much."

"Don't yeh touch nothin'. I can do this m'self."