Part 40

*

Snape yawned and blinked as his vision of lovely Lily disappeared, and he realized that a young woman wearing a garish gold blouse was standing in front of him.

"You look a little lonely," said the woman with a pleasant smile.

"I'm not. Piss off," replied Snape.

The woman was incensed and threw her drink in his face before stomping away. Snape grinned and wiped his face on his sleeve. He nursed his drink. His satisfied grin disappeared quickly when he realized what Lindsay was doing, and more importantly, who she was doing it with. A very handsome black man stood in the middle of the dance floor and his hands were on Lindsay. He was easily the tallest man in the room. He was lean with broad shoulders and a muscular physique that was visible through his expensive-looking and well-tailored shirt. Virtually every female in the room was watching him. Lindsay's two companions were throwing her hate-filled glares; their friendly demeanors couldn't withstand feminine competition. Lindsay chatted merrily as she looked up at her dance partner. A perfect white smile beamed down on her as they moved in time with the music. On top of everything else, the bastard was also a good dancer. A burning jealousy erupted in Snape, and he was sorely tempted to curse this black Adonis.

As luck would have it, Snape didn't have to retrieve his wand as another young man, much shorter and stockier than Adonis, asked to cut in. Lindsay smiled as she spoke to her new dance partner. He pointed to her hair, which told Snape that he'd said something about them both being redheads. "Idiot," muttered Snape. He glanced back at Adonis who'd moved away, but kept a close eye on Lindsay. When he looked back, Lindsay's new dance partner had grown very bold and was slowly sliding his hands down her hips to her bare legs. She was wearing a short skirt and her legs looked a mile long. She promptly moved his hands back to her waist and said something to him. Her demeanor didn't change much, but Snape knew her well enough to recognize that she'd given her new dance partner a warning.

The young man responded with a lascivious smile and slid his hands over Lindsay's backside. Both Snape and Adonis rose from their seats and moved as quickly as they could through the throng of people. They were a few feet shy of Lindsay when her dance partner flew through the air and landed hard on the floor. Several bouncers convened on the scene and immediately grabbed hold of Snape. Others lifted the young man from the floor.

"He didn't do anything," shouted Lindsay.

Adonis backed her up by saying, "I saw everything. That guy on the floor was groping her and she tossed him across the dance floor. That guy with the black hair over there got up when I did to help her."

The bouncers let Snape go with curt apologies and escorted the groper out of the club. Snape saw two other men leave too, and knew he'd have a fight when he left. He was looking forward to a little skirmish. It had been ages since he'd fought with muggles.

"You sure you're alright?" said Adonis.

"I'm fine, Garrett." She extended her hand to take hold of Snape's arm and introduced him to Garrett. "This is my friend, Severus."

"Garrett," replied Adonis with a nod. Snape only took Adonis' proffered hand because Lindsay seemed to expect it from him.

Lindsay's two companions rushed over asking after her and used the opportunity to swarm Garrett, who took the unwanted attention like the gentleman he was. Lindsay moved Snape to the bar.

"Would you like a drink, Professor?"

"No."

"A dance?"