Part 80

By evening, Remus was complaining about being stuck in bed, though Tonks was grateful for the rest and lay curled at his side. By morning, shortly after breakfast, Poppy pronounced him well enough to go home. She packed her bag, took up her suitcase packed by Severus, and offered a final instruction before leaving.

"If anything at all happens, if you feel the slightest bit unwell, then contact me immediately."

"Of course," said Remus, rising from the kitchen table.

"I mean it, Remus—anything at all."

"I promise someone will contact you," said Tonks. "And thank you so much for doing this."

"It was nothing. I'm happy to help." Poppy turned to Lin. "And I suppose Severus is indisposed?"

"I'm afraid so, Poppy. He wasn't satisfied with the potion and is currently pouring over his notes looking for a way to improve it."

"He was always a bit obsessive even as a schoolboy." Poppy moved toward the back door accompanied by Lin.

"I hope Minerva isn't suspicious about your sudden need for a short holiday," said Lin.

"A witch as clever as Minerva knows when something's afoot, but she has the good grace to keep it to herself."

A series of loud pops indicated that Poppy had disapparated. Lin turned and was enveloped in Tonks' arms again. "You don't have to keep thanking me," said Lin.

"Yes, I do. I just can't say it enough." Tonks released her friend, and her hair changed to the color and shape of green camouflage, which made Lin and Remus laugh. "Cover me, Darling," said Tonks to Remus. "I'm going in."

"Severus will be so pleased," said Remus as his wife disappeared down the cellar steps. Her departure was silent except for the slight trip-up on the last step. "You can stop holding it in now, Lin."

Tears welled up in Lin's eyes as she ran to embrace Remus. "You scared the hell out of us. It was so hard to see you like that."

"Harder than watching me heal after a change?"

"One's as bad as the other, I suppose."

"I don't know how to voice my gratitude, Lin."

"Some things don't need to be said, Remus."

~~~

Tonks saw a pool of pale light flickering under the door to Severus' study. He appeared to be pacing. She knocked and heard the familiar low-voiced silky reply of, "Enter."

"I won't take much of your time."

"Please don't."

Tonks moved toward him and wrapped her arms around his waist. Severus froze with his hands in the air. "Thank you, Severus. Thank you."

"Unhand me, Nymphadora!"

"Can you stop being horrible for just a few seconds?"

"No, it's in my nature." Tonks laughed, hugged him tighter, and let him go.

"I'll see you at the next full moon," said Tonks, beaming with excitement.

"I can hardly wait," replied Severus, his tone as flat as a soggy pancake.

Tonks left Severus' study as Remus entered it. Severus sighed in irritation at having yet another intrusion. "I'll pack our things, Darling," said Tonks.

"I'll be up directly," said Remus. He watched Tonks climb the stairs before walking toward Severus to whom he offered his hand. "Thank you, Severus."