Part 8

A/N: Patronus reference can be found here: http://www.scottish-wedding-dreams.com/heraldic-symbols.html#B%20~%20Heraldry%20Symbols

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are you sure you should be hiking out here, Remus? You still look awfully pale," said Lindsay. She had her arm hooked through his, which was a habit of hers whenever she walked alongside someone--except for Hagrid because of his great height and Flitwick because of his lack of height. Remus had a large fish-tank full of water floating along beside him. They were in search of another Grindylow to use in one of his classes.

"I'm fine, really. The fresh air is good for me. There's a large pool up ahead. We should find a Grindylow in there." A few more yards of trudging through mud and underbrush led them to a large marshy pool fed by an underground spring that stemmed from the Black Lake. The trees here were tall and old. Both the trees and the water's black surface were deathly still. The sunlight was sparse, making it seem quite eerie. Remus set the tank down on the muddy earth, and stopped to catch his breath. Lindsay had read enough of Hermione's recommended textbooks to know not to wander too closely to the water's edge. She skirted the pool looking for anything unusual.

"There's a swirl of water there, Remus."

"Good eyes, Lin." Remus drew his wand and mumbled something under his breath. An angry Grindylow emerged from the water kicking and biting at the air. He floated it through the air and plopped it into the tank. Lindsay crouched down to get a better look at it. The Grindylow flung itself against the tank's glass, trying to grab hold of her.

"You're not gonna hurt it are you, Remus?"

"You're worried about the welfare of a dark creature that would kill you if it had the chance?"

"But it hasn't killed me."

He smiled and shook his head. "I won't hurt it. I'll put it right back here when I'm done with it."

"Thank you."

A sudden chilled breeze blew between the trees making them both shiver. Remus knew exactly what was causing it, but waited to see Lindsay's reaction. The temperature dropped drastically and Lindsay was able to see her breath. "What's going on?" Remus didn't answer. Lindsay's eyes scanned the area and settled on a tall, dark, shrouded figure floating swiftly toward her. "What the hell is that?"

Remus wasn't sure if she'd be able to see Dementors, but it was obvious by her reaction that she could. He spoke loudly and sternly. "Sirius Black is not with us. We're here on school business. Move away." Lindsay moved closer to him, gripping his shoulder. A second Dementor appeared next to the first. "Alright then," said Remus. He pointed his wand at them and said, "Expecto Patronum". A silvery jet of light shot out of his wand and formed into a camel*, which threw the Dementors backwards. They floated away and mingled with the shadows. He holstered his wand and pulled a bar of chocolate out of his pocket. He broke a piece off and handed it to Lindsay, then broke another for himself. "Eat this. Chocolate helps relieve the effects."

"Thank you, but I don't need an excuse to eat chocolate," said Lindsay as she popped the chocolate into her mouth without hesitation. A warm relaxed sensation quickly enveloped her. "Oh, that's much better. Can we get out of here now?"

They left with the tank in tow. Remus' step was a little quicker on the way back, and Lindsay paid much greater attention to her surroundings. They set up the tank in Remus' office. She declined a cup of tea, and he made one for himself. He sat heavily in his chair and pointed to a large battered trunk on the floor. "I thought we'd try something a little different this time."