Part 50

Weeks passed before Snape could face Lindsay. He had precious little time between his workload, keeping his eyes on Potter and company, and making himself a thorn in Umbridge's side. He felt no small amount of embarrassment when he thought of his behavior the last time he was in Miss Gray's company. He and a few members of the Order had been secretly watching her for her own safety.

By the time Snape plucked up the courage to face Lindsay, the work at her home was finished. Snape didn't care what anything looked like; he only cared about functionality. Lindsay chatted happily about how well everything turned out, and Snape had to admit that the décor was much less feminine than he'd expected. She'd gone out of her way to make a space that he'd be comfortable in. The Potions Lab and storage rooms were purely functional spaces with bare stone walls, racks of shelving, and long tables.

The study next to the Potions labs was a neat uncluttered space with a large, dark, mahogany desk, an antique by the looks. The walls had dark-wood wainscoting and the space above was covered in cream wallpaper with a subtle silver floral pattern. Two dark-green leather armchairs sat facing each other in front of the fireplace. The room was plain and functional, and not too cheery or too dark. It was a relaxing space.

The courtyard outside the study was paved in stone with a few black wrought-iron benches lining the walls with plain, black, iron torches above them. The crumbling stone steps had been removed and the entire space was completely enclosed on three sides, making it inaccessible from the garden unless an intruder was willing to push through thick old-growth shrubbery and scale tall stone walls. Lindsay had followed his recommendations to the letter and created a perfect dueling space. Snape loved it.

Lindsay chattered happily about all the work that had been done and how pleased she was with the outcome. Snape didn't respond aside from following her around to look at everything. Lindsay abruptly changed course in the middle of her chatter, which was out of character for her. "Professor, I have to apologize for my behavior the last time you were here. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."

"The fault is entirely mine," replied Snape. "I had an urgent meeting."

"Oh, I see. I feel better now." Lindsay assumed he was referring to being called by the Dark Lord and made no further comment on the subject. "You're the first person to see the finished project...except for the workmen who fixed it, that is."

"Shall we christen it?" said Snape with a mischievous grin.

"Are you challenging me to a duel, Professor?"

"Not a legitimate one, of course," replied Snape matter-of-factly. "I'd crucify you."

"You have such faith in me, Professor," deadpanned Lindsay. She moved to the center of the dueling space and turned away from him. "I haven't done this before. We start back to back, right?"

Snape took her arm and turned her around. "Formalities are only observed in polite disputes and sporting events. Combat is something else entirely. Never turn your back on your opponent. Place your feet roughly shoulder-width apart. Your lead foot, the one under your wand hand, should be slightly forward and your weight should be evenly distributed. This position will allow you to keep your balance should you need to pivot away from an unfriendly spell." Snape raised his wand and, without further instruction, fired a mild stinging hex at Lindsay. She allowed her natural defenses to absorb the hex, and it disappeared into a flash of blue light.

"You won't learn anything that way," said Snape. "You may encounter a witch or wizard who can break through your defenses forcing you to rely on your wand skill. Restrain your natural defenses and attempt to pivot away from my attacking spells." Snape raised his wand again. Being a trained dancer, Lindsay's balance and reflexes were good. She evaded the hex with ease. "Again," said Snape, and he fired several mild stinging hexes in rapid succession. Lindsay avoided all but the last, which caught her left shoulder.