Part 65

Six weeks after the Battle of Hogwarts, a small intimate group of friends gathered in Lindsay's home. Some would be staying the night, but most would be going back to their own homes after the evening's festivities. Private homes had been rebuilt, businesses re-opened, and lives were being patched together. The Ministry had been turned on its head, but Kinsley Shacklebolt was quickly getting things sorted out. The rebuilding of Hogwarts was set to commence on Monday morning.

Severus was still technically conscious, but he wasn't there. His eyes didn't track movement, though he could blink and would close his eyes if anything came too close to them. He didn't speak or respond to sound, but he did occasionally wander. Lin put him to bed right after putting Nikki to bed. She trusted Minerva's handiwork and knew that Severus couldn't fall out a window or down the stairs. She left him alone more often, mostly out of necessity, but still didn't feel comfortable doing it. Her magic was slowly returning, so caring for Severus was getting easier in a physical sense; the emotional toll was another matter.

Molly had arrived early to get the cooking started. She and Lin worked well together and chatted away while they split the kitchen duties. Guests began arriving and most of them milled around the patio. Arthur had little Teddy giggling and splashing in the pool. Drinks began flowing and soon the meal found its way to the table as guests gathered in Lindsay's large and welcoming dining room. Halfway through the meal, Lindsay went upstairs for the umpteenth time that evening to check on her men.

It happened just as suddenly as turning on a light. She opened the bedroom door and stopped in mid-stride; the wide-eyed expression on her face became momentarily frozen. Severus frowned at her. He was still wondering how he'd arrived in her bed, how he'd acquired a navy-blue nightshirt, and why his wand wasn't up his sleeve. He was sitting up facing her, and thinking she'd gone mad. She looked as if she hadn't seen him in a lifetime.

"What's the matter with you?" Severus' voice was harsh, broken, and barely above a whisper. He cleared his throat, thinking he must've been sleeping with his mouth open. He searched under his pillow for his wand, but didn't find it. "Accio wand!" The nightstand drawer on the other side of the bed opened, and his wand whizzed into his outstretched hand. What the hell was it doing over there?

"Severus?"

"Of course, it's me. Who do you think I am?" All ability for speech left Lin as she ran to him and caressed his face with trembling hands. He pulled her hands away. "What is wrong with you?"

"You're here; you're really here."

"Obviously, but I should be at Hogwarts. How did I get here?" He cleared his throat again and was annoyed that he couldn't speak above a hoarse whisper. Nikki heard their voices and began fussing. Lindsay rose to lift him from his bassinet. Severus guessed the baby was a Weasley; that family bred like rabbits so it was a reasonable assumption. But he had no idea why Lin would be caring for an infant Weasley. As Lin approached with the baby in her arms, Severus saw blue eyes and black hair, and he became enraged. "Who?" was all he managed to say.

"He's mine, of course," said Lindsay. She immediately recognized the old jealousy surging through Severus, and knew exactly what he was thinking. "It's amazing what you can get by mail order these days." She sat on the bed next to Severus and tried to settle Nikki in his arms. Severus leaned away from Lin, refusing to even look at Nikki's face. "Severus, this is Niketas Rubeus Noble Snape."

"Mine?"

"Of course, he's yours. Who else's would he be?" Lin placed a pillow on Severus' lap and laid Nikki on it.

Severus looked down in disbelief at the chubby robust bundle blowing raspberries at him. "Not possible," rasped Severus, shaking his head.

Lin realized that Severus' memory wasn't fully intact. She put her hand under his chin to get his full attention. "There's a lot that's happened, Severus. I'll explain everything in time, but I promise you everything is okay. Please, trust me."