Part 54

Fred and George had just finished sorting and packing a large number of orders for their joke shop. They were tired and decided to go to the Leaky Cauldron for an early lunch. George was oddly quiet and seemed distracted. Fred was a little concerned about his brother's somewhat sour mood.

"What's up with you, George? You've been preoccupied all day."

"I've sent five letters to Lin, and she hasn't answered."

"She hasn't answered mine either."

"It's not like her, Fred. I think the Greasy Git did something to her."

"She does seem to have a strange connection with him that I can't sort out."

"I think we should pay her a visit after lunch," said George as he stabbed at his plate.

"I don't know, George. She could be entertaining a gentleman and might not appreciate us barging in on her."

"I doubt she'd bring a date home with the Git lurking about."

"Yes, I imagine the Dungeon Bat could easily kill a romantic mood. Alright, after lunch then," replied Fred.

The twins apparated to Lin's patio thinking she'd likely be in the pool or walking in the garden as she often did both. They didn't find her so they went inside to her art studio, which was the next likely place for her to be. They had no idea that they'd triggered Snape's wards. They'd just popped their heads into Lin's studio when they heard a familiar low silky voice behind them.

"Do you two often enter a home uninvited?"

Fred and George turned quickly to face Snape. His wand wasn't drawn, but his arms were folded and his wand hand lay perilously close to his sleeve.

"Lin's our friend," started George.

"We have an open invitation," finished Fred.

"That invitation only applies when Miss Gray is home."

"Where is she?" said George.

"I don't know," replied Snape.

"And you wouldn't tell us if you did," said Fred.

"You both should be more alert given the current political climate," said Snape, ignoring Fred's comment. "Anyone could've taken you by surprise."

"What exactly are you doing here?" said George as he took a step closer to his former Potions master. Snape grinned, turned on his heel and stalked away. Fred and George exchanged angry glances before following after, but couldn't find him.

"Bloody hell, he's fast," said Fred.

"He must be in the cellar," said George as he reached for the knob on the cellar door. Fred caught his arm.

"What are you doing?"

"He's down there, and I want to talk to him." George yanked his arm away and bolted down the cellar steps.

"He's not going to tell us anything," said Fred as he followed after his brother.

The twins searched the cellar and didn't find Snape. They ended up standing in the study looking at the door to the courtyard. The study seemed eerily quiet as though it'd been unoccupied for some time. The twins knew that wasn't the case and rationalized the unease of the room to Snape's lingering aura. The fireplace wasn't lit and hadn't been for quite some time, but Snape was well known to be virtually impervious to the cold and damp.

"If I were a Greasy Git, I'd find this room quite cozy. How 'bout you, George?"

"Cozy indeed, Fred, and I find that rather disturbing."