Part 32

A/N: Anything with an * next to it will have an explanation at the end of the chapter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Lindsay was due back at Hogwarts today, January fourth. Her bag was packed and over her shoulder. She was waiting for Hagrid to arrive. He was running late. A little before ten, Lindsay heard her doorbell ring.

"Minerva!" said Lindsay with surprise. "I didn't know you were coming. Has something happened to Hagrid?"

"I expect you didn't see the paper then," replied Minerva. She stepped into the reception hall and pulled a folded newspaper from her pocket and handed it to Lindsay. Lindsay quickly scanned the page.

"A half-giant? Is that a bad thing, Minerva?"

"To some, yes. Albus and I have been fielding questions from concerned parents since early this morning. It seems they are content to have Hagrid work as gamekeeper, but are having doubts about him teaching their children."

"But why? Hagrid's harmless. His teaching methods are a bit lacking, but he knows his subject well. I'm sure he'll get better at teaching in time."

"Why don't we discuss this over brunch? How does The Leaky Cauldron sound?"

"I rarely turn down social invitations, Minerva." They stepped outside and Minerva extended her arm for Lindsay. They disapparated with a tiny cracking sound and reappeared outside The Leaky Cauldron. There weren't many patrons at this hour, but the lunch crowd would be enormous. Daniel Flott was their waiter.

"Hi, sweetie," said Lindsay. Daniel appeared a bit nervous. "Relax; it's only Minerva and I today."

"Thank Merlin," said Daniel. "Snape still scares the hell out of me. I felt like a schoolboy again." He leaned his elbows on their table and resumed his typical casual manner. "So what were you doing out with old Snape?" he said to Lindsay.

"Oh, we were just—"

"I don't believe that's any of your business, Mr. Flott," said Minerva sternly. Daniel immediately straightened up.

"Yeah, sorry, Professor...um, didn't mean any offense. Uh...ca...can I take your orders?"

Brunch came quickly due to the small number of patrons and the two women immediately resumed their conversation.

"Giants are a volatile bunch, known for extreme violence," said Minerva. "They're feared by many in the magical community because of their unpredictability and their immunity to magic. It's very hard to hurt a giant. It's even harder to confine one. They're so large, you see. They can be very dangerous to anyone who doesn't know to properly communicate with them."

"But Hagrid's harmless," said Lindsay. "He's very gentle."

"Well, of course Albus and I know that."

"He isn't going to lose his job, is he?"

"Certainly not! Albus is not so easily intimidated," said Minerva proudly. She dropped a sugar cube into her tea before continuing. "The problem is that Hagrid has seen the newspaper, and he won't come out of his hut. I've tried speaking to him, but he won't answer. He's terribly upset."

"Oh, poor Hagrid; I'll talk to him as soon as we get back."

"Damn that Rita Skeeter!" said Minerva. "The woman's a menace!"

"How was the Ball, Minerva?"

"Oh, the Yule Ball was splendid. Albus really outdid himself with the decorations..."