Part 48

Lord Voldemort's pride would never allow him to apparate into a dirty alley and await his victims' arrival. Instead, he apparated directly into the muggle home that Jack and Jim shared, as is only fitting for a being of such superior status. Lucius and Severus followed, but had apparated into the alley and made sure no muggles were lurking before entering the home. The front door was always unlocked as no one, save Tobias Snape, had the courage to provoke the fearsome brothers. Severus immediately sat on the nearest chair, but rose again when Lucius cast a disapproving look in his direction. Severus was in familiar, impoverished, muggle surroundings and had forgotten himself. He needed to practice the rules of social propriety as taught to him by Abraxas Malfoy. Severus was a quick study and didn't need to be reminded twice.

Neither Lucius nor the Dark Lord wanted to touch anything. They were careful not to accidentally bump against something and acted as though everything in the home was contaminated. Lucius placed a pristinely white and perfectly starched handkerchief over his nose and mouth. The Dark Lord had an expression of profound disdain on his face. Truth be told, the house was as dirty and smelly and Severus' parents' hovel, but he was accustomed to such surroundings and it all seemed normal to him.

The three wizards didn't have to wait long for Jack and Jim to arrive. The two brothers could be heard singing from halfway up the street. They staggered in the door laughing and smelling strongly of scrumpy, their favorite drink. They sobered up instantly when they realized that three men were waiting for them. Their eyes quickly scanned the room and locked momentarily onto Severus, but his familiar presence only made them more suspicious.

"Well, look at that, lad," said Jim to his brother. "Wee Sevvie's brought his pansy friends over for some fun."

"Sorry ladies," replied Jack with a malicious laugh, "but we don't go that way."

Severus felt a raging fury begin to boil in the pit of his stomach. The mere sight of the two brothers angered him almost to the point of madness. Lord Voldemort's presence was the only thing that kept him from aiming his wand, which he gripped so tightly that the tips of his fingers were beginning to tingle. His eyes shot to the Dark Lord's face and he was surprised by Voldemort's coldly calm demeanor. The Dark Lord said nothing, nor did he lift his wand, yet both men were placed in full-body binds and were unable to speak. Instead of addressing the brothers, the Dark Lord addressed Severus.

"A wizard should always know his place." Lord Voldemort studied Severus for several seconds, and Severus wasn't quite sure what he should do. He felt a deft and stealthy probe in his mind, and his Occlumency skills defensively kicked in. Occlumency was a natural skill for him, but one that Severus hadn't yet developed to its fullest potential. The Dark Lord resumed speaking, his eyes still locked onto Severus'. "Lesser beings should never be permitted to address their superiors as equals. It upsets the natural order. All manner of catastrophes occur when inferior beings are permitted authority greater than they're capable of wielding. I understand that you have a skill for Potions-making," said Voldemort abruptly.

"Yes, my Lord," replied Severus with proud.

"Potions-making doesn't require much magical ability to master." Severus felt his face flush with both temper an embarrassment. Lord Voldemort saw his reaction and grinned. "Even a wizard with the meanest level of magical ability can brew potions. Am I correct?"

"Yes, my Lord," said Severus, careful not to answer too sharply.

"And yet muggles are incapable of producing even the simplest of potions." Severus now understood the Dark Lord's meaning. "Can muggles cure themselves of ailments? Can they heal themselves with a single goblet-ful of liquid?"