Part 31

Lindsay threw her pencil on the desk in frustration. The equation she was working on wasn't yielding the results she was hoping for. Her notebook was nearly full with a new Potions formula and its many variants; each one had a corresponding sheet of paper with a math equation on it attempting to predict an outcome. So far none of them had been favorable, and Lindsay was at the end of her ability. She needed help.

She looked at her watch. It was still early. Snape would be patrolling the halls this evening. She hoped he was in a charitable mood. It was a few minutes before curfew and students were scattering in all direction trying to make it back to their houses before Snape caught them. Lindsay found him stalking the second floor.

"Professor?" called Lindsay, and Snape stopped. "Professor, I need your help with a Potions formula."

Snape resumed walking. "My office hours are clearly posted."

"This isn't about schoolwork. I'm working on a new potion, my own."

Snape stopped again; an arrogant smirk graced his face. He saw her notebook and held out his hand for it. His smirk disappeared as his eyes scanned the pages. A crease appeared between his brows, and he lifted his eyes to her. "This is very complex."

"The more I work on it, the longer the list of ingredients gets. And I can't get the probable failure rate below eighty percent. Please, will you help me?"

"I will think about it after I've examined your notes." He tucked her notebook under his arm and began walking again, at a pace slow enough that it suggested she follow him. "You must understand that you're dealing with magical properties. Mathematical equations can be used as a general guide, but they can't accurately predict probability."

"I don't have your intuitive understating, Professor. That's why I'm asking for help. I've reached the limit of my ability."

Snape was true to his word. He returned her notebook and presented her with a lengthy piece of parchment at the beginning of her next lesson with him. He'd reduced the list of ingredients by a third. He substituted a single herb that had the same or similar properties as two or three herbs on Lindsay's list. Lindsay was unfamiliar with most of his suggestions.

"Those are very rare and very expensive herbs. I wouldn't expect you to know them," said Snape as he took a seat across from her. "My substitutions are less toxic. And I've broken the brewing process into three parts, which will make the brewing easier and faster, and will improve the success rate."

Lindsay scanned the bottom of the parchment and smiled at the math equation written in Snape's handwriting. "I didn't know wizards were good at math."

"We're a rare breed, but we exist," replied Snape. "I daresay a fifty-percent success rate is a great improvement over your eighty-percent failure rating."

"It certainly is. Thank you, Professor."

"I'll be going to Hogsmeade tomorrow. If you'd like to join me, we could discuss this further."

Lindsay smiled broadly. "Yes, absolutely; I'd love to."

Snape was surprised by her answer, and his nervousness began to show. His cheeks flushed slightly and he looked away from her. "Ex...excellent, I'll meet you in the Three Broomsticks."

###

George appeared out of nowhere behind Ron. He put his hands on Ron's face and turned his head sharply. "Look at that!" Ron searched the many faces in the room, wondering what George was getting at, when his eyes settled on a small table in a dark corner. He saw Snape and Lindsay sitting across from each other having a somewhat lively--at least on Lindsay's part--but clearly friendly discussion. "Oy, what's going on there?" asked Ron.