Part 39

A/N: Just a reminder, Snape is reminiscing.

----------------------------------------------------------

*

"There you are, Sev," said Lily as she approached Severus' refuge. The sun shone on her long dark-red hair and made it shimmer. Severus smiled as he looked up into her emerald-green eyes. "I think you've been avoiding me." Lily sat on the grass next to him. Severus sat with is back against a small old tree in a little nook of shrubbery that the other students usually ignored. His satchel lay next to him, and he was scribbling feverishly on a bit of parchment.

"I haven't been avoiding you. I've just been busy."

Lily leaned over him to look at what he was writing. "You have to stop doing that, Sev. You'll be expelled if you get caught."

"I haven't got a choice. It's the only way I can afford school supplies."

"But doing other people's work for them, it isn't right, Sev."

"Easy for you to say, your mum and dad buy your things. There—done!" said Severus as he laid down his quill. He stretched his hand a few times and rubbed his sore fingers. He rolled up the parchment and put his things in the satchel.

"I wanted to talk to you about the Winter Formal," said Lily. "Do you still want to go with me?"

"Of course I do. Why wouldn't I?"

"Well, you haven't mentioned it since term started. I've had a few people ask me to go with them, but I've been holding out for you. I was afraid I might get stuck going alone."

"I just needed a few more galleons to buy formalwear. I should have enough after I deliver those essays," said Severus as he patted his satchel.

Lily beamed and made Severus smile too. He loved making her happy. "We can go to Gladrags on the next Hogsmeade trip! I'll help you pick something out, and then we have to get some parchment and ink, and you need a new quill and..."

"One thing at a time, Lily. I can't afford all that."

"I've got some money too—"

"No, your parents gave you that money to buy your own supplies, not mine."

"I've got my own money too. I did some odd jobs over the summer so there's plenty for both of us."

"I said n—"

"Don't argue with me, Sev." Lily's tone was sharp indicating that her Gryffindor temper was on the verge of eruption, so Severus let the matter rest. He didn't see any point in fighting over parchment.

Severus yawned and rubbed his eyes. "Would you mind hanging around while a take a nap?"

"Not at all."

"Wake me in an hour." Severus stretched out his legs and Lily caught sight of the state of his shoes.

"Why are you wearing those shoes? They're much too small, and they'll likely fall apart if I charm them again."

"Potter and Black burned my good ones," replied Severus.

"Those monsters!" spat Lily. She lifted his robes a little and saw scratches and bruises on his calves and ankles. "You need to see Madame Pomfrey. I can only imagine the state your feet are in."

"If I went to the hospital wing every time the Dynamic Duo hexed or cursed me, I'd never leave."

"But they've left marks this time."