Part 35

"Are you prepared to be a father, Severus?" said Albus pleasantly.

Snape whirled around in a rage. "She told you?" he shouted viciously.

"No, I deduced it and you just confirmed it." Albus moved to sit in a chair and quietly made himself a cup of tea with extra sugar. He watched as Severus destroyed some of his more expensive magical wares. Severus stalked alongside a long table, extended his arm and knocked a large number of silver instruments onto the floor. Albus would repair them later. He let Severus work off some of his temper otherwise it would eventually find itself being directed at students when term started, and that would be unacceptable. Snape stalked to the chair opposite Albus and dropped himself into it.

"The Dark Lord has never made me do that before. It's not one of his favorite torture methods, but he's always tolerated it from the Death Eaters who like it. He's never punished anyone for it, but tonight he killed Pearson and crucioed two others. He's testing us, and pitting us against each other."

"What better way to keep one's followers in line then to have them police each other," said Albus. "I expect that he knows Lindsay's a guest of mine?"

"I believe so, yes."

"And he thinks her a muggle?"

"Most likely," said Snape. "If he thought her a witch, he likely would have killed her due to her inferior magical ability."

"Inferior," repeated Albus, "except for those peculiarities."

"He gave her to me," said Snape. His tone and expression showed utter contempt. "He called her a gift."

Albus' jaw set. He sipped his tea before speaking. "So Tom let her live to torment me. He's showing me his power, and telling me that I can't protect my own even within Hogwarts's walls." Albus set his tea down and leaned forward. "We will let him think this, Severus. The more confident he is in his own power, the more mistakes he will make."

"Understood."

"You mustn't blame yourself, my boy," began Albus kindly, but Snape wouldn't hear it. He sprang up from the chair and hurried out of the room. Albus would follow along later and repair the portraits and other damaged items that will be littering the way to the dungeons.

###

Lindsay insisted on washing before resting, and Minerva let her. She insisted only that the girl finish quickly before she fell asleep on her feet. Minerva conjured another bed next to hers and helped Lindsay get into it. She was asleep almost immediately. Minerva sat up in her own bed going over her syllabus for the upcoming year. Term would be starting in few days.

Lindsay slept about four hours. Minerva heard her rise and called for a house elf to bring sandwiches and a pot of tea. The two women sat a small round table.

"You must eat, Lin."

"I'm not very hungry, Minerva."

"That's a side effect of the Cruciatus. Trust me; you'll feel better if you eat. Just try a little."

"I saw him, Minerva; You-Know-Who. I've never been so terrified."

"It's alright, dearie. You're safe at Hogwarts now."

"It could've been so easy. All I had to do was insult him or try to fight him, and it all would've been over. But I just stood there, playing my violin while those other people died."

"If you're referring to that not-so-secret desire of yours to end your life, I've been well aware of it for some time. Someone as intelligent as you should have realized by now that if you truly wanted to die, you would've found a way long ago. Really, Lindsay, this penchant of yours for self-pity is distasteful and un-Gryffindorish.