Part 19

Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, and the twins sat closely together in the common room discussing the cause of the tension among the Gryffindors.

"I don't believe it," said Neville. "Lindsay would never turn on us."

"Fred and I don't believe it either."

"It is rather odd," began Hermione. Six pairs of eyes narrowed slightly as they looked at her. "I'm not taking Jackson's side. I'm just stating the obvious. It's odd how much time she spends with Snape. It could be perceived as suspicious, especially with the drastic rise in detentions everyone's been getting."

"Filch caught Ron and I going to the kitchens and Lindsay covered for us."

"We never got in trouble, so she mustn't have told anyone," said Ron.

"If she was going to turn spy," said Ginny, "that would've been the perfect opportunity."

"Not really," said Hermione. "If I were a spy, I wouldn't want anyone to find out. If I'd caught Ron and Harry, and they got in trouble later, it would be obvious who told. It would have to be me as I would've been the only witness, other than Filch."

"So what are you saying, Granger?" said Fred.

"Are you for or against?" said George.

"Neither really, there aren't enough facts."

"Well, I like her," stated Ginny.

"I like her too," said Hermione, "and I'm not blaming her. I'm just saying that something peculiar is going on."

"George and I are going to fetch her. She needs to stop avoiding the common room."

Twenty minutes later the twins re-entered the common room, dragging Lindsay by her arms. "This is a mistake, guys."

"Nonsense," said George.

"Everyone misses you," said Fred.

"Not everyone." Numerous hate-filled glares turned in Lindsay's direction. The twins stared back, challenging anyone to speak. Many of the students rose and went to their dormitories. The tension in the air was thick. Fred and George plopped her down in a chair next to Neville. "I promise all of you that I'm not spying...."

"We believe you," said Neville.

"All of us," said George.

The common room was now mostly full of younger students as many of the older ones preferred the privacy of their dormitories rather than be in Lindsay's company. There were a few older students who approached her to state their belief that Snape had set her up, and that they had no hard feelings toward her. This prompted a lively exchange of theories among the small group of supporters as to how Snape had managed to catch so many students, and what might be his ultimate goal.

"Where did Fred and George go?" said Ron. "They were just here a minute ago. Did you see them, Ginny?"

"No, I wasn't paying attention."

Lindsay was facing the direction of the hallway that led to her rooms, so she was one of the first to see the menacing black form of the Potions Master silently enter the common room. Many of the students dashed to the safety of their dormitories. Others hesitated, unable to decide whether to run or hide. Lindsay's attention was immediately drawn to a fleeting expression on Snape's face. A mischievous twinkle glinted in his dark eyes, and was accompanied by a short-lived devilish grin. She finally saw his moment.

"Miss Gray, I've come to sit for you."

"That's wonderful, Professor. Excuse me, everyone, I have some sketching to do." Lindsay's excitement was obvious. She made no attempt to hide it, but some observers found it a bit disconcerting.