Part 30

A/N: Just a reminder, this story is a draft and will contain mistakes. Message me if you spot some that are intolerably bad. (: Also, there are some canon-compliancy issues throughout; I'll clean them up when I've finished the story. Thanks for reading, and don't forget to vote.

*The song's for Neville.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neville's first class with Professor Moody had been disastrous. The demonstration of Unforgivable Curses had been too much for him to bear. He needed a place to rest his mind for a while, but he wasn't the sort to flaunt school rules like Harry, so he didn't know where to go. The common room was too noisy. His dormitory wasn't private enough, and Hermione would spot him in the library. He'd spent as long as he could in the greenhouses; then chose a quiet corner of the common room to do his homework. Now he needed a place to unwind.

Neville entered Lindsay's sitting room. It was the only place he could think to go where he'd be left at peace. He thought she'd be in bed at this late hour, but she was sitting in her desk chair turned away from the door. She was singing softly with her guitar in her lap. To Neville's ear, it sounded a bit like a lullaby. She stopped playing when she noticed him. "Sorry," he said softly.

"It's okay," said Lindsay cheerfully as she turned to greet him properly. Neville looked very upset and a concerned expression spread across Lindsay face. "Are you okay?" Neville had difficulty answering. "Neville?"

"I had my first Defense Against the Dark Arts class today. I...um...didn't do well."

"Oh, I'm sorry, Neville. I hear Harry's very good at that subject. You should ask him to help you."

"Yeah, I'll do that," muttered Neville quickly. "Um...so what were you playing, another lullaby?"

"No, it's not a lullaby, but it is relaxing in its own way, isn't it?" Neville nodded and sat on the couch. He stared at the fire with an inexplicable longing in his eyes. He asked Lindsay to play the same song three more times before he rose to go to bed. He left without saying a word.

###

Ginny sat at the Gryffindor table picking at her breakfast and reading a copy of Witch Weekly. Hermione sat down in between Ginny and Ron and across from Harry, whom the twins were on either side of. Hermione motioned to all of them that she had something to say and lowered her voice to a whisper. They all leaned in to listen, expecting to hear something about Arithmancy, or Hogwarts' history, or some other boringly irrelevant topic. "Have any of you noticed the way Professor Snape looks at Lindsay?" The twins exchanged mischievous glances and smiled broadly.

"What do you mean?" said Harry.

"I caught Snape staring at her again...more like leering, actually." Hermione shuddered. "It was horrid, and his face looked a little flushed."

"Eeewww," cringed Ginny.

"Looks like Harry and Neville aren't the only ones he hates," said Ron.

"I saw him doing that when Lindsay was trying to teach Lavender Brown and the Patil twins some dance steps. I think he's got it in for her," said Harry.

"He's definitely got it for her," said Fred. "I don't know about the 'in' part, though." George spluttered juice all over the table.

"Oh, you're awful!" said Hermione.

"That's the end of my breakfast," said Ginny as she grimaced and pushed her plate away.

"What?" said Ron through a mouthful of oatmeal. "What are you talking about?" The twins laughed, but didn't elaborate. "What did I miss? Do you know what they're going on about, Harry?"