Part 36

"Hello, Severus, what can I help you with?" said Dumbledore from behind his large desk. Several parchments lay open on his desk, each with a quill scratching furiously on them.

"Good afternoon, Headmaster," replied Snape. "I need to run an errand. I shan't be gone more than an hour."

"Very well, Severus. Do you have a minute to spare before you leave?"

Severus desperately wanted to say no, but he knew what was coming and it was best to get it over with. "Of course."

Dumbledore rose, moved from behind his desk, and stood in front of Severus. "Term has begun and you still haven't spoken to Lindsay. She needs closure. She needs to put this unpleasantness behind her and so do you."

"What I need is none of your concern."

Dumbledore sighed. "There's no cause to be defensive, Severus."

"Why did you bring her here?" said Snape.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you that. It's for your own safety, you understand," said Dumbledore.

"She doesn't belong here," asserted Snape.

"I beg to differ."

"You've made her a target."

The twinkle in Dumbledore's eyes stilled, and he looked away from Snape. "I regret that, Severus. I did not foresee any harm coming to her...or to you. I'm sorry. I truly am. But what's been done cannot be undone. We must move on." Dumbledore began to pace. "I request that you cease her Potions lessons and begin teaching her Occlumency instead."

"I thought you were teaching her Occlumency."

"I have been, but I think she'll benefit more from your style of teaching than from mine."

"As you wish, Headmaster," said Snape coldly. He turned on his heel and left.

It was after ten in the evening when Lindsay received a note from Professor Snape telling her that he'd escort her to his office for her lesson. There was a knock at her door ten minutes later. Snape was always punctual.

"Good evening, Professor."

"Miss Gray," Snape nodded curtly and turned for her to follow him. He didn't explain why he was escorting her, but she surmised it was because of Professor Umbridge. The woman despised her and openly disapproved of her presence in the castle. Lindsay no longer walked the halls in the evenings and stopped taking her meals in the Great Hall. So far she'd been very successful in avoiding Umbridge.

They entered Snape's office in silence. He pointed to a chair, and Lindsay assumed he meant for her to sit. He walked behind his desk and leaned down to the floor. He walked back to her carrying a small package wrapped in a thick piece of musty old canvas. He set it on the small table next to her and took three deliberate steps backward.

"It's okay, Professor. I'm not afraid of you." Snape didn't reply. Lindsay placed her hand on the musty canvas. "Is this for me?"

"Is there anyone else in the room?" replied Snape.

Lindsay had learned to take Snape's snarky attitude in stride and began unfolding the layers of dirty canvas. Inside was an ornately decorated, black, antique violin case. She gently ran her fingers across the top before opening it. The interior of the case was finished in blue velvet. It housed one antique violin and two bows. She gently lifted the violin out of its case and turned it over. It was clearly very old. There were signs of wear all over it. It had small dings and light scratches and wear marks, but it was beautiful. Her old violin was a dark reddish brown with a straighter grain on the back; this one was much blonder and had striking flamed-maple back and sides. Its ebony fingerboard contrasted sharply with its light-colored body. Lindsay picked it up and began to play. The sound it produced was even more beautiful than its exquisite appearance. This was a superior instrument and much too good for a mediocre musician like Lindsay.