Part 27

Lindsay spent the rest of the week catching up with old friends and generally spending as little time at home as possible. When she was home, she spent much of her time with her neighbors, the Browning's. The Browning's lived at the south end of her property. They were hardworking people that even the surly Mr. Roberts liked. They were simple but stalwart people, much like Hagrid. Mr. Roberts allowed them to occupy the large guest cottage and keep their livestock in the barns.

The Browning's doted on Mr. Roberts when he became infirmed, particularly Mrs. Browning, but the snob in him refused to see them as dear friends. He treated them more like loyal servants. He was kind to them, but aloof. Instead of paying rent, the Browning's farmed the property, tended the small orchard, and looked after the main house when it was unoccupied. Lindsay kept this exact arrangement when she inherited Mr. Roberts' property. Truth be told, the nearby presence of the Browning's was a comfort to her. Lindsay loathed solitude.

Shortly after dawn on Saturday morning, Lindsay found herself pacing in front of the fireplace in her dining room with a mug of steaming coffee cupped in her hands. She was excited to see Remus; in fact she was excited just to have guests. She didn't know the time of his arrival, or his method of travel, but assumed he'd arrive by floo like Fred and George had.

Shortly after seven, Lindsay heard the sound of someone clearing his throat and whirled around to see a sheepish-looking Remus Lupin standing behind her. He'd entered the house through the kitchen door. She set down her coffee cup and threw her arms around him.

"You scared the hell out of me, Remus!"

"Sorry about that. Look, Lin, there's something I've got to tell you..." At that moment, Sirius Black appeared in the doorway between the kitchen and dining room holding an open tin of peaches in one hand and a fork in the other.

"You don't mind if I eat this, do you?" said Sirius as he bit into a peach slice.

"Bloody hell, Sirius, I told you to wait in the kitchen!" barked Remus.

"I am in the kitchen," replied Sirius.

"So you're the one who's been causing all the fuss?" said Lindsay, one hand resting on Remus' shoulder.

"Sirius Black at your service, milady." Sirius bowed dramatically and spilled peach juice on the floor. He pointed at the tiny puddle, "Remus, would you mind?"

Remus flicked his wand at the little puddle of juice. "I'm sorry to just spring this on you, Lin, but--"

"Could we talk about this over breakfast," said Sirius and quickly added, "if it's not too much trouble?"

"No trouble at all," replied Lindsay happily as she moved to the kitchen. "I love to cook."

"Perfect," replied Sirius, "I love to eat."

"Is there anything in particular that you'd like me to make?"

"Those steaks looked quite nice," replied Sirius.

"You've been snooping already?" said Remus, looking more than a little bit embarrassed "I only left you for a second."

"We've had nothing but bread and chips for three days. I'm starved."

"I don't mind, Remus," said Lindsay as she tied her hair back and donned a blue apron. "Somebody has to eat them. There's a wine cellar through there if you'd like--"

"Off I go," said Sirius.

"It's seven-o'clock in the morning," protested Remus.

"It's dinner time somewhere," replied Sirius as he disappeared down the stairs."