Part 43

The kitchen at 12 Grimmauld Place hadn't seen so much activity in decades. Sirius sat at the head of the long kitchen table with Remus to his right and Harry to his left. An assortment of Weasleys were seated and snacking, taking a short break from housecleaning.

"Anything been going on at school?" said Sirius. "Don't hold back, I haven't heard any decent gossip in ages. Has Snivellus done anything to you? I'd love an excuse to curse his head off."

"Well, there's a rumor that Snape's taken an interest in...um... " Harry's cheeks flushed red, more from nausea than from embarrassment.

"In what, a Hippogriff? No, that's too handsome an animal. His ugly face would frighten it. A Thestral then?"

"A...real...live...giirrrl," purred George.

"That's absolutely a rumor," said Sirius confidently, barely able to hold back laughter. "There's a reason why Snivellus is all buttoned up to here and down to there." He mimed buttoning a high collar and low-buttoned sleeves. "If he undid not more than three buttons the girl would either die of fright or vomit all over him. Has she got dark glasses and a white stick by any chance?"

Remus had been sitting quietly with a wry grin on his face. He leaned his elbows on the table and was looking at the newspaper that was spread out in front of him. A cup of tea sat steaming next to him. "The girl is Lindsay," he said as he casually turned a page.

"The bastard cursed her, Remus!" shouted Sirius as he slapped the table with the flat of his hand. Fred and George roared with laughter. "I'll kill him!"

"Oh, I don't know, I think she might like him," answered Remus, his eyes twinkling with devilment.

"What's in that tea, Remus? Give it here."

An exasperated Molly entered and ordered her children to finish eating and help her or there'd be no dinner. Harry set down his tea cup and looked at Sirius apologetically.

"Go on then," said Sirius and Harry rose and left with all the young Weasleys trailing behind. Within seconds of their departure from the kitchen, a few dull-sounding pops were heard followed by laughter and Molly's annoyed voice. "Fred and George Weasley!"

Sirius silently observed Remus placidly reading the paper. He waited until he was sure no one was lingering too near the kitchen because he didn't want to be overheard. "What's the matter with you, Remus? You're just going to sit placidly by and let Snivellus slither in on your girl?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I think my meaning was plain."

"Lindsay and I are just friends. It's none of my business if she wants to spend time with Severus."

"That's why you're still single. You always step out of the way for everyone else."

"You know perfectly well why I've chosen to stay single," growled Remus, his temper finally rising. "I'm too dangerous--"

"Stop being such a martyr!" countered Sirius. "Lindsay's not a child. She knows the risks."

"We're only friends, Sirius!"

"Only because you're content to let things stay as they are."

"For the last time, I'm not interested in Lindsay!"

"So you do like Tonks!" shouted Sirius as his fist bashed against the table triumphantly.

"Quiet!" said Remus. "And stop looking so pleased with yourself."

"So am I going to be an uncle, or what?" Remus rubbed his eyes and took a sip of his tea. "Well?" prodded Sirius.

"I'm ignoring you."