Part 78

They entered the spring-house with Tonks in the lead. For all of Remus' determination, he suddenly felt very unsure of himself and his decision. If Tonks hadn't arrived to remind him why he was doing this in the first place, he just might have backed out. Poppy greeted he and Tonks warmly with no hint of trepidation on her face or in her manner; she was the consummate professional. Remus was surprised to discover that Severus had retained the iron fencing that bisected the room, only now it was further divided. The side where Remus' bed lay was divided in half, with the other part of the room full of medical supplies that could easily be locked in the event that Remus was to change into a werewolf. The iron gate between the tiny rooms was presently open, and Poppy has conjured a screen for Remus to change into pajamas.

The second Remus walked from behind the privacy screen, it disappeared. He meekly walked across the room to lie on the hospital bed; its metal framed creaked and the bed-springs squeaked as the bed took his weight. The noises were barely perceptible to everyone else, but Remus found them jarring in his agitated state. When his head touched the pillow, a host of medical monitors appeared above him. Poppy often used her wand to monitor a patient's vital signs, she obviously thought the situation was serious to warrant extra diligence.

Tonks was standing on the other side of the bars, and Severus was giving her instructions. She was so nervous that her hair had taken on Severus' deep blue-black coloring and her skin became sallow. Severus ignored the change. Remus smiled to himself and planned on teasing Tonks about it later. Poppy came to his side to check that he was comfortable and to fuss over him. He pointed to Severus and Tonks and Poppy stifled a laugh. Tonks was seated at Remus' side holding his hand and patting his hair as soon as Severus released her.

"Are you ready, Lupin?"

"Whenever you are, Severus."

Severus waved his hand and a great length of parchment rose into the air, a quill accompanied it and stood at attention with an open bottle of ink next to it. The quill was charmed to record all of Remus' vitals signs and reactions to the new potion. Poppy left Remus' side to attend to Severus, who'd turned his back and was fiddling about the table that was lined Potions equipment. Poppy returned with her wand in hand and flicked it at the corner of the room, a tray of medicinal potions zoomed out of its hiding place and hovered at her side.

"Record the time, Severus," said Poppy.

"Done," was the only reply.

Poppy handed Remus a shockingly small goblet. Remus smiled and said, "Bottoms up." But when the sulfuric odor from the potion hit his sensitive nose, he was repulsed and had to turn his head and gag. The look of the potion was just a revolting as the smell; it was heavy, very thick, and a putrid greenish-yellow color. "Not to be insulting, Severus, but this is disgusting."

"That is the most palatable formulation I could make. It's best to drink it quickly."

Remus closed his eyes and tilted his head back as he tried to gulp the vile potion. It slid out of the goblet with ease and plopped onto his tongue in a foul-tasting blob. It was so thick that it was actually difficult to swallow, so it lingered on his tongue making him gag and choke. He could feel Tonks squeeze his hand more tightly. She dabbed at his eyes with a hankie as they were watering profusely. Remus' body was determined to hurl the potion out of itself. He placed his hand over his mouth to keep from retching. The nausea settled and he relaxed. Tonks leaned forward in her chair and wiped his sweat-beaded forehead.

"So far, so good, Severus."

"Give it time," came the silky reply. Tonks shot him a viciously angry look.