Part 58

Albus didn't linger. As soon as their bodies materialized in Lin's flat, Albus nodded to her and disappeared. Lin immediately set about packing her things. Her mind was swimming with doubt and insecurity; her thoughts and feeling conflicted. Despite her insecurities, she was still obeying Albus. Lin was torn between respect for a wizard who was tremendously powerful and wise beyond estimation and struggling with feelings of hurt and anger for having been used. She felt like a means to an end.

Lin was packed in under an hour. All of her luggage was piled on and around the kitchen table. It was another two hours before Albus returned, and Lin spent the time pacing.

"Please forgive me for rushing you, Lin, but the circumstances require that I circumvent the usual pleasantries."

"It's fine, Albus. I want to get this move over with as quickly as possible."

Albus tilted his head toward Lin's luggage. "Is that everything?" She nodded her answer while nervously wringing her hands. Albus said nothing nor did he lift a finger. All the luggage quickly shrank into minute sizes and floated into the outside left pocket of Albus' sport coat. He extended his left arm and Lin took it.

They reappeared inside a stone and timber structure that was clearly very old. The stone-walled interior was clean and sparse. There was one long open room that was already comfortably warmed by the flickering fire in the stone hearth. There was a single closed wooden door at the far end of the long rectangular room; it stood adjacent to the hearth. At the opposite end was a kitchen that would've been considered the height of Muggle technology in the early nineteen-forties.

The kitchen area included a large pantry that extended into the living/dining area. A few feet from the kitchen stood a rustic wooden table with handmade chairs that provided enough seating for four. Opposite the table, placed lengthwise along the wall, sat a wood-framed bed that was just large enough to accommodate two adults; at its foot sat a birthing chair that appeared old enough to have been used a countless number times. Next to the chair sat an antique and delicately carved wooden baby cradle.

"It's charming, Albus." Lin let go of Albus' arm and strode to the closed door. The room behind it was packed from floor to ceiling with wooden crates. A small pathway led through the room to a full washroom. Both rooms were obviously added magically, and Lin suspected that the hearth originally took up most of the wall on this side of the stone cabin.

Albus was oddly silent as he waited for Lin to get acquainted with her new living space. Lin emerged from her quick perusal of the washroom and drew her wand to get more light. With a better view of the small room, she supposed that the bed near the table had formerly resided in this room. She moved her lighted wand near the crates' labels, all written in Albus' neat hand. There were clean linens, toiletries, medicinal potions, potion-making supplies and ingredients, and even baby supplies. But the majority of the crates were filled with food items. Lin's breath hitched as the shock of realization passed through her; tears welled in her eyes. She holstered her wand and ran out to face Albus, who was waiting for her, still standing in the same spot as when he arrived.

"You're leaving me for good, aren't you? You're abandoning me."

"You'll be safe here, Lin," said Albus softly, almost patronizingly.

"I don't even know where I am. I assume I'm in a rural setting, judging by the accommodations."

"You need to remain isolated until the baby is born. This is for your own good."

"What if there's an emergency? Where will I go? Who will I call?"

"I have provided all the medicinal potions you could possibly need, and there are medical texts to help you if any problems should arise."