Part 53

A/N: Just a reminder--this entire story is a draft, so please judge it accordingly. (:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sirius watched Remus rub his bleary eyes and rise to stagger out of the room. "Always a bridesmaid, never a bride."

"I'll tell Albus you're here," hollered Remus from the hallway.

"Thank you, Remus," replied Sirius. "This is the dreariest party I've ever been to."

"Sorry about that," said Lin as she sat next to him.

"Are you still angry with me?"

"No," replied Lin. "I don't hold grudges, and I know you mean well."

"I also know Snivellus alot better than you do."

"You just don't know when to let a subject rest, do you? And please don't call him by that name; it's insulting."

"That's the point," said Sirius.

"Just what do you have against Professor Snape?"

"Well, for starters; he's greasy, weird, unsociable, creepy, ill tempered, biased, cruel, spiteful, and did I mention weird?"

"Whatever passed between the two of you has nothing to do with me."

"You don't understand," said Sirius, his tone more somber. "Snape is so deep in the enemy camp that just associating with him is putting you in terrible danger."

"Albus seems to think otherwise."

"Ugh," grunted Sirius. "Albus and his trusting ways. The man's not infallible, you know?"

"I trust Albus' judgement."

"Of course you do," said Sirius. "You don't have a choice."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You're new to the magical world, Lin, and there's so much you don't know."

#

Albus was seated at the desk when Remus entered the study. Stacks of papers were shuffling themselves and standing on end for easier reading. Albus watched the stack of papers with unfocussed eyes. A quill was scratching furiously on a small roll of parchment that lay open on the desk. Albus lifted his eyes and blinked, and the commotion stopped. The quill returned to its inkwell and the stacks of paper settled neatly on the desk.

"Good of you to come, Remus. Sorry for the wait."

"No bother, Albus. What can I do for you?"

"I need you to investigate the people on this scroll; it contains a list of werewolves who were known followers of Voldemort before his death. I need you to cross-reference their names with the names of the deceased persons on the list. Each of the deceased persons are known to have been in the vicinity of at least one werewolf prior to their deaths."

Remus looked bemused as he lifted the parchment and scanned it. "Alright, Albus, but what am I looking for?"

"You must ascertain which of the deceased were killed by Voldemort's own hand, and if they were carrying any personal items that Voldemort may have taken, and where those items might now be located."

"This is a strange task, Albus."

"I know it seems odd, but it is of utmost importance. I'm afraid I can't explain why just yet." Remus nodded, neatly folded the parchment, and placed it in his pocket. As a Defense Against the Dark Arts scholar, Remus already had a good idea of what Albus was looking for, but chose not to voice his thoughts until a more appropriate opportunity presented itself. "Learn what you can, Remus, but under no circumstances are you to risk your cover."