Part 52

It was late in the evening when members of the Order of the Phoenix began to arrive. They seemed to convene all at once, and appeared out of nowhere. Remus was the first to arrive by mere seconds, and he took the lead in escorting everyone else into a sitting room that sat off of the dining room where they all awaited individual meetings with Dumbledore, who'd commandeered Lindsay's study for the purpose.

Lindsay had prepared a buffet of finger foods in the dining room and guests were meandering between the two rooms. They were tired and anxious to get this meeting over with, so most were not being particularly sociable. Lindsay was currently in the kitchen accompanied by Fred and George.

"I don't know why you insist on washing dishes by hand," said George as he drew his wand and pointed it at the dishes.

"It relaxes me," said Lin, as she stepped away from the sink to watch the dishes clean themselves and put themselves away.

"What are you nervous about?" said Fred.

"I'm not sure. I usually love having company in."

"It's Mad-Eye Moody," said Fred. "He creeps everyone out."

"Dishes are done," said George as he took Lin by the arm. "Come on; let's join the party while it lasts."

They hadn't made it halfway across the kitchen when a dour form draped in black appeared in the kitchen doorway. "Good evening, Professor," said Lindsay. The twins simply glared at him. Snape tilted his head toward her and swept by to disappear down the cellar steps.

"What's he doing in your cellar?" said Fred.

"I don't know. He's working on a project of some sort."

"Wish Mum was that easy to get around," mumbled Fred.

"You don't know what he's doing in your house?" said George suspiciously.

"I don't really care what he's doing. It's just nice to have some company. This house is huge, I feel swallowed up in it."

"How in Merlin's beard can the Git be considered company?"

"Calm yourself, George," said Fred. "We have a soiree to attend."

Lindsay found a seat in the sitting room and was flanked by Fred and George. Remus, Moody, and Arthur were standing closely together and were engaged in a disjointed conversation, apparently trying to keep each other awake. Arthur's eyes kept drooping, but he insisted on standing.

"If this continues much longer," said Arthur, "I'll be needing a Pepper Up potion."

"Who are we waiting for, Dad?" said Fred.

"Daumantas Farrette." Just as soon as Arthur said the name, Sirius Black entered the room escorting a thin small-framed man who wasn't very much taller than Harry. He was clutching a large tan briefcase. The man looked much younger that his actual age, which made the small dabs of grey hair at his temples appear premature. Farrette was a first-year student at Hogwarts when Arthur was in his seventh year. He had short reddish-brown hair and large coppery brown eyes that were framed by gold-wire spectacles. Anyone who tried would be hard-pressed to imagine a more inoffensive-looking person. "There he is," whispered Arthur as he smiled and nodded to Farrette, who responded in kind. Farrette didn't get a chance to sit as a heavy-set dark-haired woman whom Lindsay didn't know appeared in the doorway and immediately took Farrette to see Dumbledore; she then slipped quietly out the front door without saying farewell to anyone.

"Is he with the Ministry, Dad?" said George.

"Yes, Auror's Office," replied Arthur.

"He's an Auror?" blurted Fred. "You're joking, right?"