Part 21

Lindsay thanked Mr. Ollivander as Snape shoved her out the door. "We should stop for lunch, Professor."

"We can have lunch at Hogwarts."

"Is that a beauty shop? I need to go in there, Professor."

"Why?"

"Because I'm a girl and I'm vain. I'm hypnotically drawn to pretty colors, pleasant fragrances, and shiny objects."

Snape tried to hold her back, but this time she wasn't cooperating. She disappeared into the shop, leaving Snape waiting outside. He was looking more and more unpleasant by the second. Lindsay was greeted by a petite fair-haired witch with hazel-green eyes.

"Hello," said Lindsay. "I was just wondering if you had any gardenia perfume."

"I do," replied the little witch. She showed Lindsay a row of shelves lined with decorative glass bottles of varying sizes and colors. She picked up a small bottle of gardenia perfume and handed it to Lindsay.

"That's very nice. Oh, it comes in larger bottles? I'll take two."

"Would you like to try the honeysuckle, or perhaps mimosa?"

"Since I'm here, I'll try both. The mimosa's very nice. I'll take a small bottle of it." The witch next handed her a small bottle of honeysuckle perfume. "That is so accurate. Honeysuckle is usually too sweet and strong for me, but this is just like the actual plant. I'll take a bottle of it, and I must leave before I buy up the whole store." They returned to the sales counter and the witch packaged Lindsay's bottles for her. "May I ask what part of France you're from?" said Lindsay.

The witch smiled pleasantly and replied, "Bordeaux."

"I love Bordeaux," proclaimed Lindsay. "I haven't been back in years, but I enyoyed my time there. It's such a beautiful city."

Snape's arms were folded across his chest as he paced in front of the shop. He drummed his fingers on his bicep. He peered through the shop window and wondered what was taking Lindsay so long. The little witch looked beyond Lindsay to the storefront. "I can get someone to clear that wizard away for you."

"Oh, no, we're together."

The witch appeared concerned. "He seems very annoyed."

"I probably shouldn't say this, but just between us girls. He gets a bit, um, agitated when he has to wait, if you know what I mean."

The witch's eyebrows raised in genuine surprise. "You are a couple then?"

"Of a sort, I guess you could say. We're not emotionally attached. I think of him more as an instructor." The witch frowned. "Oh, we're not involved in the commercial sense, if you follow me. Well, the truth is I've led a somewhat sheltered life and haven't had time for romance, so he's helping me find my way." The witch leaned a little and looked past Lindsay to get a better look at Snape. A flush of color was rising in her cheeks. Snape saw her inspecting him and scowled. Lindsay turned with her and continued speaking. "You'd never know just by looking at him, but he's remarkably athletic. To be perfectly honest, he exhausts me. I just wish I knew someone who could help take some of the burden from me."

Convinced that they were talking about him, Snape flung open the shop door and stalked up to the sales counter. "What is taking so long?"

"Hi, Professor, we were just talking about the city of Bordeaux. This lovely lady is from there."

Snape scowled more deeply and looked at the little witch with antipathy. She was clearly interested in his company, and her welcoming smile shocked him. His eyes widened as he gazed into hers, and he swallowed hard. His whole body seemed to shrink. He grabbed Lindsay's arm and pulled her away from the counter as he backed away from it. "We're leaving, now...hurry...go!"