Part 13

"What're yeh doin' havin' tea with that sneakin' squib?"

"Word travels fast around here," said Lindsay. "Who spilled the beans?"

"Never yeh mind." Hagrid was in an ill-tempered mood. He had to release the bats he'd reared, and it was really hurting him to part with them. They were already safely collected in his satchel, and he and Lindsay were waiting for the sun to go down to release them. The poor condition of his new Hippogriff was adding to his bad humor. The animal's physical wounds were healing, but his state of mind was no calmer. He wasn't bonding with Hagrid, and he wasn't yet strong enough to be introduced to Hogwarts' Hippogriff herd. Hagrid worried about the poor animal's uncertain future, and his fear was coupling with his anxiety over Buckbeak's impending punishment.

"I just like to get along with people, Hagrid," answered Lindsay.

"There's some people yeh just can't be nice teh," warned Hagrid. "Now yeh listen to me. Yeh don' tell that sneakin' squib nothin'. He'll turn on yeh in an instant if he thinks he's got a good bit o' gossip. Mark my words."

"Alright, Hagrid, I promise to be very cautious around Filch."

"We bes' get goin'. The littluns'll be wakin' up soon." Hagrid rose from his chair, picked up his satchel and crossbow, and headed for the door. He turned to give poor Buckbeak a doleful look before closing the door behind him, and taking his lantern from Lindsay. They strode from Hagrid's hut toward the Forbidden Forest with Hagrid's boarhound, Fang, in tow. Hagrid had his satchel over his shoulder, the lantern in one hand, and a massive crossbow in the other. "Yeh never been in the Forbidden Forest, have yeh?"

"I've been in the edge of it with Remus to fetch a Grindylow," replied Lindsay.

"The forest is dangerous, so don' go wanderin' away."

"I have no intentions of wandering, Hagrid. I'm a coward at heart." Hagrid laughed; he patted her shoulder and nearly sent Lindsay on her face. They walked a considerable distance into the seemingly endless forest. Lindsay was very nervous and stayed close to Hagrid. The Forbidden Forest had the feel of something ancient; it had a subtle presence, like it knew they were there. The forest was oddly beautiful in its own dark way, dangerously enticing. Lindsay thought of the old poem, "The Spider and the Fly."

At last, Hagrid found the ideal spot to release his precious cargo. With teary eyes, he set down his lantern, removed his satchel from his shoulder and opened it. The three occupants crawled out onto his outstretched arms. "Go on now. This is where yeh belong." They stretched their wings and circled Hagrid's head several times before disappearing into the darkness. Hagrid sobbed into his hankie.

"It's sad, I know," said Lindsay, reaching up to pat Hagrid's arm. "But they have to grow up." A rustling to Lindsay's side drew her attention. "What is that, Hagrid? Is that a little black dog?" Hagrid didn't hear her. The blast from his nose being blown into the hankie drowned out her voice. The black furry creature, roughly the size of a small spaniel, stopped moving and seemed to invite Lindsay's approach. She moved slowly and cautiously, talking softly to it. It was hard to tell because of the poor light being cast from Hagrid's lantern that still sat on the ground, but the animal looked strangely round, not dog-like at all.

Lindsay stopped and turned to get Hagrid's attention. The animal sprung up and sunk its fangs into her thigh. She yelled from both the sudden fright and the burning pain. Hagrid caught her before she fell. He wrapped his hand around the spider's fangs and carefully unhooked them from Lindsay's thigh. He flung the spider into the brush. It rushed up a large nearby tree and was met by an adult Acromantula. "I must apologize for my son, Hagrid. He's impulsive, but he is only two."