Part 61

The two women chatted over breakfast, and Lin was beside herself with joy to have someone to talk to—dead or not. Lindsay sat with a blanket around her shoulders. Madame Littlefoot was at the far end of the room seated on an invisible chair. Their conversation rambled and turned to Nikki's father.

"It may pain you, my dear," said Littlefoot, "but for safety's sake it's better that the little one doesn't look too much like his father."

Lin set down her teacup. "You know Severus?"

"Of course, Albus told me he was the father. I delivered Severus and his mother. They were both very small babies, barely over four pounds, but they were healthy, strong, and full term. Quite a strong resemblance between mother and son too, in more ways than one."

"What does that mean?"

"They both have the same dour disposition and neither took much of an interest in their children."

"I never told Severus about Nikki."

"Dear Merlin, child! Why ever not?"

"Well...um...I suppose it's safe to tell you."

"Of course it is. I'm well beyond the reach of magical torture. No one can make me talk if I don't wish to."

"Severus is spying on the Death Eaters for Albus. I didn't want to put him more danger. "

"Oh, I see. Please don't think ill of me, my dear, but I'm an old woman and inclined to speak my mind."

"Quite alright."

"I may seem old fashioned to you, but I've always felt that children should come after the marriage and not before. A strong relationship makes for better parents and more secure children." Lin didn't reply; her eyes were downcast. "Have I shamed you, my dear? I assure you that was not my intention."

"Not at all," replied Lindsay. "You just reminded me of my parents. They were deeply religious and wouldn't approve of my current predicament. I'm not ashamed of my son or my love for his father, but it's difficult to accept that I've disgraced the family I love and who loved me."

"My dear child," began Littlefoot, "marriage to Severus Snape would've been pure idiocy and a death sentence for all three of you. A truly loving family would never support such foolishness regardless of their religious or moral beliefs. I pray that you meet your love again, and that you both make your family proud."

Lin's eyes filled with tears. "Thank you, Madame Littlefoot."

"It's time you had some rest," said Littlefoot. "Potions work wonders, but your body still has some healing to do."

The cottage was more pleasant now that Nikki and Littlefoot were there. Lin was well-healed and Nikki was healthy and alert. Lindsay spent her days chatting with Littlefoot and singing to Nikki. Madame Littlefoot taught her a few nursery rhymes and lullabies.

A month passed and had done so quickly. Lindsay was eating dinner and Littlefoot was pacing and appeared restless.

"Is everything alright, Madame Littlefoot?"

"I'm afraid we need to have a chat, Lin."

"Sure," said Lin, setting down her fork. "What's on your mind?"

"I've reached my time limit, dear."

"Time limit?" repeated Lin.

"When one dies, one is given a choice to either stay here as a ghost or to move on. I chose to move on."

"But you're here?"

"Albus gave me a task, and I gave my word that I'd complete it. The powers that be allowed me to come back temporarily. My task is complete, and it's time for me to go."