Part 74

Severus and Lin appeared in a long dark alley. Severus' wand was already drawn. His other hand held Lin's tightly. She wanted to tell him to stop being paranoid but, in truth, they were still in danger. Straggling members of the Dark Lord's regime were still free and still hunting them and likely would for the remainder of their lives. Severus had been a high-level spy his entire adult life; it wasn't something he could just turn off. He held his wand just below chest-level, a spot that allowed him an easier defense against incoming spells while still allowing for a rapid offensive attack. Severus turned slowly, his wand at the ready. He didn't utter a sound, even his breathing was controlled and silent. Lin could tell by his posture and intense focus that he was using non-verbal spells to determine if there were any lurkers in the alley or if there were any harmful spells lingering. Severus' body language was naturally very subtle and difficult to read; a slight movement of his shoulders told Lin that all was well. He released her hand, and she immediately grabbed hold of her dress to lift it above her ankles.

"Really, Severus, a filthy alley?"

"It's safer than walking blindly into a crowd."

Once Severus was satisfied that no one was looking, they exited the alley and joined the line of people that were filing into the opera house. It took an approximate three seconds for Lin to spot someone she knew. And naturally it couldn't be one or two people that she knew, it had to be a crowd of six, who were pointing to yet more friends of hers that were farther back in line. Severus grumbled to himself. If there were such a thing as Purgatory, Severus was sure he was in it. He was engulfed in a crowd of strangers who treated him like they'd known him for years and worst of all, they touched him. He could tolerate the ladies placing their hands on his arms and patting him, but other men doing it was a step too far. He held his temper for Lin's sake. The overly cheerful rabble all spoke and laughed in unison. Severus likened the noise they made to a hive of worker bees until someone said something that really annoyed him.

"Yes, Janet said he was a bit of a grump."

And Lin replied with; "It's just his way."

"I beg your pardon?" said Severus acidly.

Lin didn't get a chance to reply as a tall gangly teenager, wearing an ill-fitting and garish-looking purple and gold jacket that signified he was an employee of the opera house, told the noisy little crowd that the show was soon to start. Severus breathed a sigh of relief as the little crowd dispersed, but the pleasantness was short lived.

"Remember me, Lin?" said the spotty teen.

Lin appeared puzzled for only a split-second, then declared: "Henry! Oh, it's been so long. You were just a little boy last time I saw you." Lin embraced the spotty teen and patted his face affectionately when she released him. "You're all grown up now. I can't believe it." Henry's thin bony chest puffed with pride. "And how are your Mum and Dad?"

"Well, everyone's well."

"And Cynthia?" said Lin.

"Doing fine now..."

Severus eyed the boy. He seemed so familiar yet Severus couldn't place him. It was the mention of 'Cynthia' that jogged his memory. "You're a Moorehead," stated Severus, and Henry was taken aback slightly.

"Um...yes...how did you...?" All the color in Henry's face drained as his eyes widened in recognition. "YOU'RE PROFESSOR SNAPE!"

"Say it a bit louder, the other half of London didn't hear you."

Henry's tall lanky frame seemed to have shrunk and appeared to be trying not to implode on itself. Lin placed her hand on Henry's arm to steady him. "You know each other?"