Part 18

Lindsay Entered the Gryffindor common room with her violin case tucked under her arm as usual. Hermione, who was sitting in front of the fire with an open book on her knee, noticed the puzzled look on her face immediately. Ginny was sitting next to Hermione, relaxing as she stared blankly into the fire. Ron and Harry were sprawled on the couch next to them with unopened textbooks in their laps, talking about Quidditch. "Is everything alright?" Lindsay didn't respond immediately so Hermione repeated the question more loudly.

"Oh, sorry, uh...yeah everything's fine." She stopped and knelt in front of the fire and looked up at Hermione and Ginny. "It's just a little odd," she said quietly. "He's asked me to play the same piece every single time, but tonight he asked me to play something soft."

"Whose piece went soft?" shouted George, who seemed to appear from nowhere with Fred at his side. Many of the Gryffindors snickered, but some were looking ill-at-ease.

"Oh, you're disgusting!" shouted Hermione, slapping her hands down on her textbook as Fred and George neared the couch. Ginny brought her hand up to cover an uncontrollable smile. Harry and Ron laughed aloud and made no attempt to hide the fact.

"You're absolutely right, Granger," said Fred in mock disgust, his elbows resting on the back of Harry and Ron's couch. George was a mirror image standing next to him. "The idea of Lindsay and Snape in a passionate embrace is just absurd. As greasy as he is, he'd just slide right off of her."

Lindsay, good-natured as usual, stood up smiling ready to retort, but was beaten to it by a very disgruntled-looking Jackson. "Fred and George may seem like they're joking, but they're really just saying what we're all thinking."

"Speak for yourself, Jackson," answered Fred.

"We really are just joking," added George.

Lindsay looked both puzzled and hurt as she rounded the couch to stand in front of Jackson, effectively placing herself between him and Fred. "What are you talking about?"

"You know perfectly well what I'm talking about," spat Jackson. "You're always with him. It's unnatural."

"If by 'him' you mean Professor Snape, I don't understand what the problem is. He sent for me. You were here; you saw that. And I've been honest with all of you about what happens. I play my violin for him, that's it. I regularly do the same for Dumbledore."

"But this is Snape we're talking about," said Jackson as if the mere mention of the name was suitably explanatory. Several of the students muttered encouragement, and Jackson looked around to see who was on his side. His confidence was greatly bolstered by the many heads nodding in agreement with him. "Nobody likes him. Even his Slytherins hate him. They're just too afraid of him to admit it. And yet you spend an inordinate amount of time with him. Why is that?"

"I spend more time with Hagrid than anyone. A lot of the students spend time with the professors. Neville's with Professor Sprout right now. Are you going to accuse them of something illicit too?" answered Lindsay.

"It's not just us. People in the other houses are saying it too, even some of the Slytherins."

"Exactly what are people saying, Jackson?" asked Fred in an uncharacteristically icy tone. Both he and George had a rising flush of red in their cheeks and ears. The common room suddenly became eerily silent. Fred stepped a little closer to Jackson and rested his hand on Lindsay's shoulder. Jackson looked from Fred to George, apparently unwilling to fully engage the angry twins. Wately rose from the table where he and Jackson had been playing a game to stand next to his friend, and directly in front of George. Other Gryffindors were beginning to hedge closer. Harry and Ron were off the couch and standing behind the twins. Hermione and Ginny hadn't left their places, but were no longer seated.