Part 62

The Caterwauling Charm had been called off by the time Lindsay arrived in Hogsmeade because Harry Potter was already at Hogwarts and the battle was underway. The portkey dropped Lindsay in the alley where she'd first met a vagrant named Itzal Grace. It was quite dark, and she could hear the sounds of battle coming from the school; wand blasts, yells and screams, and a variety of roaring and growling of magical creatures. Lin's blood went cold, but she was determined to press on. She had to find a way to get to the school unnoticed. She was in an enclosed alley and had only one direction to go. As she stepped forward, her shoulder bag snagged on a trash can and toppled it over. The can hit the ground with an audible "Oomph!" and an assortment of valuable items rolled out of it.

"Mr. Grace," whispered Lin, "what are you doing in a garbage can?"

"Hidin' from the mob," replied the old wizard as he climbed out of the trash can and scrambled to his feet with surprising agility.

"Have you been looting?"

"What?" said Grace, affronted. "Me a thief? These are heirlooms. I'm just keepin' 'em from the Snatchers. Bunch o' thieves, that lot."

"Okay, I don't have time to chat. I have to get to Hogwarts—"

"To Hogwarts?" repeated Grace. "Are you mad? There's a war goin' on."

"Please, Mr. Grace, I have to get to the school, and I need a safe place for my baby—"

"Oh, no!" said Grace, shaking his head vigorously. "I'll not take responsibility for a baby."

"I can't take him into a battle."

"You're on your on."

"Please, help me."

Grace looked her over and said, "I remember the kindness you paid me, young lady. And because o' that I'll help you get into Hogwarts safely, but that's all I'll do. Understand?"

"Fair enough."

Grace extended his arm for Lindsay to take. He apparated her to the backside of Madam Puddifoot's tea shop. "Puddifoot's got a nice little garden back here," said Grace as he pointed his wand at the latch on the garden gate. "It's not open to the public." The garden was small and consisted mostly of pink and white rose bushes and a variety of cherub statues. Grace went straight to the largest cherub in the garden. He tapped his wand against a corn on the cherub's foot, and it squealed "Ouch!" as it grabbed its foot and jumped to one side revealing an underground stone staircase. "Ladies first," said Grace.

Lin was less trusting than she'd been when she'd first met Itzal Grace, but she had no choice but to trust that he was helping her. She descended the dusty old staircase, and Grace descended behind her with his wand lighting the way. She stood on the last step and could go no farther because the tunnel, although quite wide, was completely caved in. Lin immediately thought that she'd made a terrible mistake.

"This used to be clear," said Grace, "until Dumbledore caved it in."

"He purposely collapsed the tunnel?"

"Aye, he did. I didn't think much of it at the time. Dumbledore was an odd man. But in light of recent events, it was a clever thing to do. A small army could convene down 'ere, and the tunnel leads straight to Hogwarts' fourth floor."

"Why did you bring me here if the tunnel is impassable?"

"Raised by Muggles, were you?"

"Uh, yes."

"It's all too obvious. Dumbledore charmed it so I could meet with 'im privately."

Lin smiled. "You're an informant?"