Part 15

Lindsay sat in the common room with Neville. They'd just finished breakfast and were going over the first set of plans that Neville had drawn up for Lindsay's garden.

"I thought we could put a water feature there, some sort of fountain or pond. If it's not too much of an expense."

"Don't worry about the expense, Neville. Go all out. I'm already excited about the shopping."

"You've got a note."

Lindsay plucked a lavender-colored and scented paper airplane out of the air. It was from Dumbledore. "Gotta go, Neville. The Headmaster wants to see me." Lindsay arrived in the Headmaster's office with her violin under her arm. Dumbledore wore a set of ice-blue robes with silver brocade. "New robes, Professor?"

"Yes, do you like them?"

"You're a vision of masculine loveliness, sir."

Dumbledore laughed and thanked her. His eyes twinkled with merriment. "You're very free with your compliments, Lindsay."

"Only when they're deserved."

"You've been doing very well manipulating objects. I think it's time we try something different. Do you know what apparition is?"

"Yes, but I hardly think I'm ready for it. The thought of splinching myself is a little unnerving."

"You'll do fine. We'll start with simple tasks. I want you to imagine yourself standing over there, on the other side of my desk. Can you do that? Good. Just stay relaxed and focus on that spot." Dumbledore's eyes widened. He hadn't expected this at all. There were now two of Lindsay standing in his office, each looking at the other and both looking solidly corporeal.

"Um, Professor?" said two identical frightened voices.

"Relax, Lindsay. All is well." Dumbledore approached the second Lindsay and passed his hand through her arm. "Did you feel that?" He asked the original Lindsay.

"Yes, you touched my arm."

To the second Lindsay, he asked, "Would you pass me that quill?" She reached her left hand, picked up the quill, and handed it to Dumbledore. "This is remarkable. I've never seen the like. You are a most uniquely gifted witch, Lindsay."

"How do I put myself back together?"

"The same way you bi-located; concentrate and you'll be whole again."

They practiced controlling the bi-location for nearly an hour. Once the fright of seeing a second version of herself had passed, Lindsay quickly grew adept at controlling a second body and processing its sensory stimuli. They ended the lesson, as they typically did, with Lindsay playing her violin. This time Dumbledore had requested Paganini Caprice #24. Dumbledore sat in his favorite chair with his eyes closed swaying slightly to the music. Lindsay stopped playing when she saw Snape enter the room.

"Do forgive me, Severus. I was lost in the melody. Lindsay, I hope you don't mind, but we'll have to continue at another time."

"Not at all, Professor." She packed up her violin, said her goodbyes, and left the Headmaster's office. Lindsay rejoined Neville, and the two set about weeding some of the gardens. Neville pointed out and explained the names and uses for a large variety of plants. Lindsay listened quietly as Neville chattered away about the diseases the plants were susceptible too, and which insects and animals were attracted to them. He described how differently each plant looked at different times of the year and how they were often confused with other plants. Both were wearing tall rubber boots and sloshed through ankle-deep water. Lindsay spied a large green toad sitting on rock. "Look, Neville, there's a toad. That's not Trevor, is it?" She reached out to move it.