seven

I wake up the next morning by myself in my own bed. How'd I get back here? Oh well. I sit up and run my fingers through my hair. I get up and walk to the bathroom to take a shower.

After my 30 minute shower, I wrap myself in a towel and walk back to my room. I dry off and put on underwear, a bra, black leggings, a gray hangry t-shirt, and Nike tennis shoes. I blow dry my hair and put it into a messy bun on the top of my head. I wash my face and put on nude eyeshadow, mascara, eyeliner,  blush, and chapstic. I grab my phone off the charger and head downstairs.

I see Tobias on the couch with his arm over the back and he's watching cartoons on the TV. Caleb and Amanda are sitting in the middle of couch all cuddled up. I sit down on the opposite side of the couch from Tobias and focus on the episode of Spongebob that's playing. I try not to sneak small peeks at Tobias, but it's useless. My phone buzzes next to me and I pick it up.

Morning, T! Whatcha doin 2day? -Chris
Idk-Tris
Wanna hang out or go shopping??-Chris
I kinda just feel like doin nothin 2day. Maybe 2mro??-Tris
K-Chris
Ttyl-Tris

I put my phone back down and wonder how I'm even able to sit here without being next to Tobias. I look at Tobias again and he looks at me at the same time. I look away, biting my lip. I stand up and go back to my room. I take off my tennis shoes and jump onto my bed. I open my laptop and get on pinterest.

+ + +

I've been up in my room for about an hour and I'm starting to get bored. I don't want to go back downstairs, because if Tobias is down there then it would be a little awkward. I don't know what's going on with us right now, but I don't like it. At all. Then my door opens. Tobias peeks his head in, and gives me a small smile.

"Can I come in?" he asks.

"Yeah," I say. He walks in, and sits at the foot of my bed. I close my computer, and sit up; criss-cross applesauce. My hands are in my lap, my thumbs twiddling. He grabs one of my hands, and I smile, there goes the butterflies in my stomach again. I've been with him for four whole years, why do I still get butterflies?

We sit in an awkward silence for a few minutes until I can't take it anymore.

"What's going on with us?" I blurt out.

"Well I'm not too happy with you right now," he replies.

"I know, and I'm sorry. It's just with everything going on with Shauna, and my argument with my brother, plus I think I hand a few too many drinks last night, I needed to get my mind off everything. And you were the closet thing to me."

"I get it." He drops my hand.

"No, Tobias," I say.

I hear the doorbell ring and Mom says something. "Evelyn! How are you?"

"I'm great, Natalie!" Evelyn says. Tobias and I get off my bed at the same time and run down the stairs.

Tobias runs up to his mom and hugs her. "Hey, Mom," he says.

"Hey, baby boy." She kisses his cheek and they end their hug.

"Hey, Ev," I say with a smile and give her a quick hug.

"Hi Tris."

+A Couple Days Later+

I'm sitting on the couch with my knees pulled up to my chest. The Santa Clause is playing on the TV and Tobias is sitting next to me.

I pull my phone out and text the girls.

Group Chat:
Red alert, starbucks-Tris
Be there in 10-Mar
Omw-Chris
Leaving rn-Lynn
With Lynn-Shauna