fifty-three

I wasn't planning on getting pregnant. We didn't want this yet. I'm not going to say that we're not ready, I'll think Tobias and I will be okay, but we definitely weren't expecting it. I wasn't at all scared of Tobias's reaction to this, I know that he's really happy. He might have been kind of shocked at first, but I think he was ready to start a family when he married me. We were going to wait at least until our one year anniversary, and then talk about it and maybe start trying for a baby.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really, really happy, and I can't wait for the little munchkin to be here. I'm so excited to be a mom, but you know me, I overthink absolutely everything.

And as I keep thinking about this, the tiny human growing inside my stomach, the more I realize this is actually perfect timing for us to have a child. Zeke and Shauna's baby won't be too much older, and neither will my niece and nephew. Sure, Olivia and Jackson will be at least two years older than their cousin, but I don't think that's a very bad gap. And you know, Caleb and Amanda will probably end up having at least one more kid, so whatever happens is fine, I think.

"Are you okay?" Tobias asks, his arm looped around my torso and his head on my chest.

"Huh?" I️ reply, looking up from the article on babies that I️ found (which I actually wasn't reading), and running my fingers through his hair.

"Are you okay?" He repeats as he raises his eyebrows at me.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I️ answer, smiling and nodding slightly.

"Okay," he says. "Are you sure? You seem off."

"Honestly?" Tobias nods. "I'm terrified." He moves so that he's now sitting next to me with his arms around me.

"Hey, me too." Tobias pushes a piece of hair behind my ear as I️ bite my lip. "I'm going to be here with you every step of the way. We can figure it out together." I nod and rest my head on his shoulder as I bring my knees to my chest.

I'm still really anxious, but with Tobias by my side, this doesn't seem quite so scary anymore.

Tobias kisses my temple and I smile, leaning into him.

I made an appointment earlier, to meet with an gynecologist, just to make sure everything is good. That's tomorrow, and I'm super excited.

"You ready for bed?" Tobias asks, brushing a piece of my hair behind my ear again. He does that a lot.

"Yeah, I just need to brush my teeth," I reply, starting to sit up.

"Whoa, hold up," he says, moving to the position he was in a few minutes earlier; his hands on my abdomen and his head by my stomach. I giggle as he tickles my sides for a second and lay back down. "Hello in there," he whispers to my stomach.

"Tobias, he hasn't formed ears yet. He can't hear you."

Tobias ignores me, and instead talks to my belly again, "Do you hear the way Mommy talks to me? So rude." I giggle, rolling my eyes at the same time. "Anyway, this is Daddy speaking. I want you to know that Mommy and Daddy love you so, so much."

As Tobias continues to talk to our baby, I catch myself grinning as wide as I can. He presses a kiss to my abdomen, and then another to my lips.

Queenie jumps onto the bed, and rubs against my shoulder.

"What do you want?" I ask the cat, although I know she won't respond.
❁  ❁  ❁  ❁  ❁
My appointment is today, and I think Tobias is more nervous than I am. We're both super excited though.

Tobias grabs my hand and kisses the back of it, as we stop at a red light on the way to the doctors office.

It takes about 10 minutes to get to the clinic. Tobias parks the car, and we head into the building holding hands. He kisses my forehead as we take the elevator up to the seventh story. We walk up to the front desk and the receptionist looks at me expectantly.