twenty-nine

Today is Christmas Eve, and all of my family is at my house, waiting for my mother, aunts, and grandmas to finish making dinner.

Every year on Christmas Eve, we dress up really nice and have a big fancy dinner. On Christmas Day, we dress more casually to open presents.

My mother and aunts have been pressing me and my girls cousins to help them with making dinner since we were each twelve, but we'd all rather be out here with the rest of the family.

Everyone is obsessing over Caleb and Amanda, asking them billions of questions like, "When are the babies due?", "What are you going to name them?", "Are you two going to have a real wedding?", and so much more.

Caleb and Amanda then pass by Tobias and I, heading for the stairs. They're probably just trying to get away from all the questions. I really don't blame them.

"Oh, shit," I mutter to Tobias.

"What?" he asks.

"Mia's not here so they're all probably heading straight for us," I whisper. My cousin Mia got married a few years ago and gave birth to a daughter a while ago, and her husband and her wanted to have their own Christmas this year, so they stayed home. Now my family is going to interrogate Tobias and I.

"Oh. Fuck," he whispers back, looking around at everyone.

"Yeah," I say as one of my aunts that's not helping with dinner comes up to us.

"Tris, Tobias! How are you guys?"

"Great," Tobias answers and I say the same. Other family member see us talking with my aunt and start walking over.

"Are you planning on getting married?" my aunt asks.

"Uhh-" I start but get interrupted with another question.

"Do the two of you want kids?" a great aunt of mine investigates.

"Tobias, when are you going to propose?" another aunt asks.

"Okay, I think that's enough," Dad barges in.

"Yeeaahh, I think we'll be going anywhere else," I add, taking Tobias's hand and taking the stairs that lead to the basement. Nobody's down there when we reach the bottom step, but the TV was left on and is playing The Santa Clause 3. It's one of my favorite Christmas movies.

We lay down on the big sectional, and I cuddle up to Tobias as he wraps his arms around me.

"So, does your dad not want you to marry me or something?" Tobias asks and chuckles a bit.

"I don't think he wants me to get married in general, but I think if I were going to get married, he'd want me to marry you."

"Your dad loves me so much," he comments and I laugh.

"Not as much as I love you!" I respond and he smiles.

"I love you, more than anything," he says and my hands find the his face as I kiss him. He kisses back, holding me close.

"Bea? Toby? Dinner's ready," I hear Claire say and I stop kissing Tobias.

"Okay," we say at the same time and get up. Tobias takes my hand and we walk up the stairs and to the dining room. I stop him before we walk through the double doors, cup part of his face with my hand, and peck his lips. We walk through the doors and sit down in the two empty chairs near the middle of the table.
𖤐 𖤐 𖤐 𖤐 𖤐