forty

It's now very late October and I've been doing my student teaching for almost two months. It's crazy incredible, these fourth graders are rocking it. Tobias and I have also been moved in to our apartment for about a month now. We have all the furniture and decor and everything for the most part. I still need to get pictures and frames to put on the wall that separates the kitchen and dining room.

Anyway, today at school we're having our Halloween party because Halloween's on a Saturday this year and you can't really have a school party on a Saturday.

So I'm dressed as the mouse from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, and the teacher I'm teaching with and learning from, Morgan, or Mrs. Davis as the kids call her, is the pig from If You Give a Pig a Pancake. These are like my two all time favorite kids books.

Morgan and I set up the decorations and games with a bunch of parents while the kids are out at recess. I pour a big bag of mini candies into a bowl on the table and do the same with several others. This was always my favorite holiday in school because they give you a bunch of candy and don't even care that much if you take huge handfuls of it.

We finish decorating a few minutes before the recess bell rings and I take a few candy bars and eat them.

"Hey Tris, can you toss me a Snickers please?" Morgan asks as take another candy bar for myself. I pick up a Snickers out of the bowl and toss it to her. "Thanks, bro." Mrs. Davis cracks me up all the time because she acts like she's still 21, but she's actually like 35. God, I hope that's not me when I'm her age.

The 32 fourth graders in this class sprint into the classroom in all their cute little costumes as soon as the bell rings. I stand at the door waiting for them to come in so I can hand them goody bags to fill with treats.

The next hour and fifteen minutes goes by quickly, as I play games with all the kids and give them cookies and cupcakes. Wow, I'm going to be a terrible mom, giving my kids junk food all the time. Yep. I'll probably be one of those moms.

Mrs. Davis and I clean up the classroom once all of the children leave to get home, and fortunately we get it done fast. We say our goodbyes and then I sling my backpack over my shoulder and walk out to the parking lot.

My car starts up after a couple of tries, and I drive home. It takes a little over 30 minutes to get to the apartment since there's traffic, and when I do get there I have to park in a parking garage. I park in the first open spot I can find, I grab all of my stuff that I need as I get out of the car, then take the elevator to the ground floor and walk into the building and take the elevator back up to our floor.

I'm attacked by Koda as I open and walk through the door into the apartment. I bend down to scratch him behind his ears. Koda came to live with Tobias and I once we moved in because he's really our dog, and Mom and Dad didn't really want to take care of him anymore.

Also, Tobias and I are mostly moved into our apartment, the only stuff we had to bring we basically clothes and bathroom and technical stuff, we had to buy everything else. We still need a table and chairs for the dining room though, we've either been eating on our bed out on the couch.

"Hey bud," I say as he jumps and licks my face. "I'm home!" I shout to Tobias. He must be in our bedroom since he's not in the living room. I stand and kick of my converse taking them with me as I walk back to the bedroom.

"Hey babe," Tobias says while not taking his eyes off of his computer screen as I walk into our room. I drop my shoes and backpack at the foot of our bed and dive onto it. "Long day?"