eighteen

As I open my eyes, I get blinded by the sunlight coming through my blinds. My eyes start to adjust, and I stretch out to help wake myself up. I get up and slowly walk downstairs.

When I get to the living room, I lay down on the couch and turn the TV to Botched. I'm weirdly obsessed with this show.

"Good morning, Bea. Can you come in here for a few minutes?" Dad calls from the kitchen.

I get up from the couch and walk to the kitchen.

"Morning," I say while yawning and walking through the kitchen door.

"Good morning," my parents say in unison.

"What's up?" I ask as I sit down on a stool at the island.

"You know you brother is graduating next weekend," Mom answers and I nod my head," so your father and I thought that maybe instead of leaving on Friday and only spending a few- what is it, three?- nights in California, we'd leave Monday and spend the entire week there. We wanted to know what you thought about that."

"Sounds cool," I reply.

"Good, because we already bought the plane tickets," Dad says and I laugh.

"Also, Aunt Becca called and said Claire really wanted to come over for a couple days in a few weeks," Mom says as I nod. "And your grandparents called as well and said they could use some extra hands with the horses and to come over whenever you felt like it."

"Really?"

"Yes, they are pretty much your horses. So we thought instead of coming back from California with your father and I, you could just take a plane up to Portland, and spend a week there."

"I was hoping I could take a plane to Omaha instead for a few days," I say, sounding like I'm asking a question.

"Do you have your own money for a hotel?" Dad asks and I slightly shake my head. "Didn't think so."

"That's it," Mom says, "that's all we needed you for. Breakfast is going to be ready in twenty minutes or so."

"Sweet," I reply as I leave the kitchen to sit back on the couch.

A few minutes later, I get a FaceTime call from Tobias. I answer it and Tobias's face comes up on the screen.

"Hey babe," I say.

"Hey."

"Whatcha doin?"

"Eating breakfast," he replies and eats a spoonful of Fruity Pebbles.

"Oh, obvious," I say and laugh.

"What are you doing?"

"Watching Botched."

"Really?" I nod my head. "Why do even like it?"

"It's interesting. It's not any different than Grey's Anatomy or The Night Shift." He loves those two shows.

"Whatever," he scoffs but laughs after.

"I miss you," I say after awhile.

"I miss you too, only a few more weeks."