thirty-one

It took a minute or two for my eyes to adjust to the light coming through the small window when I woke up. I sat up, suddenly recognizing the room as my fingers pressed into the carpet.

I'm in Peter's basement.

It's not until I try to run my fingers through my hair that I realize there's a chain around my right wrist that's connected to the wall.

I look around the room to find my purse, and I see it in the corner. I reach for it, and I can barely touch it with the tip of my fingers. My fingers manage to grab the bag, and I pull it slightly towards me, not enough for Peter or anyone else to know that it was moved.

I dig through my bag, trying to find my phone. I finally get it just as I hear someone walking down the stairs. I sit back up and slide my phone under my leg.

"Good morning, Tris," Peter says as he walks up to me and squats in front of me. "That serum must've been really strong, you've been out for days." What day is it? "I was starting to think you wouldn't wake up."

"What do you want with me?"

"You know what I want, Bea."

"You don't get to call me that," I warn, gritting my teeth.

"Tsk, tsk, don't you want food?" My stomach grumbles as he says the last word. "I'll take that as a yes." He tosses an apple and a bottle of orange juice at me and I catch them.

I sink my teeth into the apple immediately, knowing this won't be enough to settle my hunger.

"Don't go crazy, or anything. Ill be back later," he says, standing up and walking back up the stairs. As soon as I hear the door close, I take my phone out from under my leg.

When I unlock my phone, I see that it's January seventh, January seventh! I was supposed to fly home on the third! I was asleep for four days. This is not happening right now.

I see that I have 15 missed calls from Tobias, and nine texts from him as well.

Tobias💕😍- where r u?

Tobias💕😍- y aren't u picking up?

Tobias💕😍- what's going on?

Tobias💕😍- text me pls

Tobias💕😍- is ur phone dead?

Tobias💕😍- tris, pick up, please, i'm really worried

Tobias💕😍- i miss you, pls come home

Tobias💕😍- i love you

Me- Tobias, it's me, Peter kidnapped me a few days ago, and injected me with something that made me sleep for a long time. I'm at 311 se 197th ave in portland. It's a blue house with white garage doors. Pls come as quick as u can with as much help as u can get, I don't know how many ppl Peter has w/ him. I love you❤️

I type as quick as I can and wait for Tobias to reply.

Tobias💕😍- I'll be there as fast as I can bby. I love you too😘

I let out a relieved breath and lock my phone, shoving it under my leg again. There's only 30% left of the battery on my phone, so I have to save it as much as I can.

"You know this isn't the way to treat someone you want to love you, right?" I ask, glaring at him