forty-three

Tobias and I unfortunately flew home from Hawaii a little over a week ago, and I was (and still am) not happy about it. Tobias seriously had to drag me onto the plane.

Anyway, today is the day that Mom set for Tobias and I's engagement party. She told me that she wanted to do this for Caleb too, but since they eloped she didn't really get a chance to. I was more than happy to let Mom plan something for us, she hasn't had much to do recently.

I hear my phone buzz on the nightstand, and I lightly push my laptop off my lap before picking up my phone. The news notification showing on my screen says, 'Chicago Cubs Rookie Four Eaton and Daughter of Andrew and Natalie Prior are Engaged after Six Years'.

"Oh, babe, looks like People Magazine finally figured it out," I tell Tobias who's laying on the bed next to me watching TV. He sits up and looks at my phone.

"Wow, it really took them awhile," he replies.

"I know, right. They didn't even use my actual name. I'm just 'Daughter of Andrew and Natalie Prior'." I shake my head.

"How could they?" he says, faking being offended. I look at Tobias, laughing a little, and he pecks my lips before paying attention to the TV again. I read the article, and get back to working on my computer.

Tobias and I headed over to my parents' house around seven that night for our party. A bunch of people were already there when we arrived, and we just greeted people until everyone was there. After that, I laced my fingers with Tobias's and we walked out to the backyard where the party was set up.

It was beautiful. The patio had all of the snow removed, there are a couple of fires going because it's freaking freezing out here. I have no idea why Mom decided to have an outside party in Chicago in January. Anyway, there's also lights hanging and other decorations all around.

The party was fun, we talked with people for awhile, the food was delicious, and by the time it was over I was literally exhausted.

Everybody left around nine, except for the gang. Tobias and the boys headed down to the basement a few minutes ago, and now the girls and I are going to hang out in the living room. I'm going to ask Christina to be my maid of honor, and Shauna, Marlene, and Lynn to be my bridesmaids, while Tobias is asking Zeke to be his best man and Will, Uriah, and my brother to be his groomsmen. Caleb already knows, and he already left with Amanda and the twins about 30 minutes ago.

The girls and I walk into the living room and sit down on the couch. I immediately take my heels off, these feet are tired.

"So," Marlene says. "What did you want to talk to us about?"

"Well," I answer, grabbing a bag from behind the couch. I look through it and give each of the girls their own box with their name on it. They all stare at either the box or me, all of them confused. "Jesus, just open them." They open the boxes to find opal necklaces with their names engraved on the side as well as the date of Tobias and my wedding this August.

"Tris! Of course I'll be your maid of honor!" Christina says, her hand over her heart, smiling widely.

"And I'd love to be one of your bridesmaids," Shauna adds, hugging me.

"Me too," Lynn says.

"And me," Marlene comments smiling like all the others.

"So, I also hope you guys can come to New York with me this weekend for dress shopping. Mom and Aunt Rebecca are coming, and Tobias– oops, Four, is going to be there, but not at the appointment."