seventeen

Rain. That's all it's done since I got home. Rain, rain, and some more rain for seven days. Oh, and also thunderstorms. As the effect of all this rain, I've been holed up in my room, laying on my bed with Koda next to me, re-reading my favorite books and watching The Vampire Diaries on Netflix.

Not today though. Well, actually, not half of today. I'm going over to Zeke and Shauna's apartment for dinner later. But for now? The Vampire Diaries, my dog, and a pint of Ben and Jerry's cookie dough ice cream. Aah, paradise. I'm just missing one thing, Tobias.

I scratch Koda's head between his ears, and he moves his head away. Yeah, he misses Tobias too. The only reason he's laying here with me is because that's where Tobias would usually be.

After seven episodes and almost five hours of The Vampire Diaries, I decide I should get ready for dinner. I take a quick five minute shower, and then dry off and since it's a little chilly out, I put on skinny jeans with rips at my knees, a black long sleeve shirt, and green/grey Birkenstocks. I blow dry my hair and put it into a messy bun. I put on a long feather necklace, my knot ring Tobias gave to me three years ago, and elephant ring, and an engraved band ring.

I grab my olive green military jacket off the back of my desk chair since you have to park in a parking garage down a few blocks if you're not a resident of the apartment building. They gotta do something about that. I don't know who 'they' are, but something definitely needs to be done.

I sling my brown cross body purse over my shoulder, and make sure my car keys, drivers license, and Burt's Bees chapstick are in it. I leave my room and make my way downstairs.

"Bye Mom, bye Dad! I'll be back in a few hours!" I yell as I run out the door and to my car as quick as I can. I fumble with my car keys as the rain pours onto the city of Chicago. I eventually get the door open and slide inside my car. I turn my butt warmer on and the heat up as high as it can go. I buckle my seatbelt, and pull into the street.

I groan as I realize how bad the traffic is going to be when I get downtown. It's 5:30, the middle of rush hour, and a Friday. Great.

I tap my thumb on the steering wheel as I wait for the light to turn green so I can turn left. The light finally turns, so I press my foot on the gas pedal and turn the steering wheel to the left.

At last, I make it downtown, and pull into a parking garage a few blocks down from Zeke and Shauna's apartment. The building has a parking lot for the residents, but only the residents. As the effect, I'm forced to walk five blocks to their building, and fight for a spot in this very busy parking garage.

I swear, it's probably the only garage in all of downtown Chicago, because everyone is there, always. It's almost impossible to find spots half the time. I guess that's what you get when you live in a big city though.

I find an open spot on the second to the top level. I turn the car off and get out. I lock my car as I walk to the elevator and put my keys in my purse. I reach the elevator, and press the down button. I take my phone out of my pocket when I get a text from Christina.

Hey t! Wyd?

As I reply to her text, I see a pair of sneakers walk by me and stop right next to me.

I send my message, and slide my phone back into my pocket. I realize that the person in the sneakers is a guy. He speaks up just as I make the realization.

"Hello," he says.

"Um, hi," I respond.

"What's a pretty girl like you doing out here by yourself?"