forty-nine

I have a little less than five hours before Tobias and I get married, and I still have to get my makeup and hair done and also get my dress on. I walk into the master bedroom, where the girls and my mom are getting ready. I grab my phone off the nightstand and sit down in the empty chair between Marlene and Shauna, that has a piece of paper with my name on the back.

The setup in here is so cool. There are five small beauty tables, with makeup and hair tools and a million other things. Also on top of each table is a mirror with those cool vanity lights. I love those so much, I have one at home.

Amanda's mom, Camilla, did her hair for her and Caleb's wedding, and I thought it was so gorgeous so she's doing my hair too. Mom's doing my makeup, because I'm a pro and I got all my skills from her. Camilla gives me a hug after she plugs in the curling iron, and we make small talk as she curls my hair. She twists and braids my hair, and when it's done, my hair is up in an angelic updo, with pieces of hair falling out to frame my face.

"Hey Tris," Marlene says, walking into the room with an envelope in her hands. "This is for you."

"Thanks," I reply and she hands the letter to me. On the front is my name on Tobias's handwriting. I sit back down in my chair and open the envelope. Inside, there's a folded up piece of paper. I smile as I open it up and start reading it.

Tris,
Good morning gorgeous, wait should I say good afternoon? What if you're reading this after 12? Well, I've already fucked this up. Sorry.

I laugh, unable to control it for a bit before I continue reading.

Oh, babe, where has all of the time gone? It's strange, on one hand, I feel as if I've known you forever, on the other, it's like I met you yesterday. How on earth am I lucky enough to be able to spend the rest of my life with someone like you? Alright, I just wanted to tell you that I love you more than anything, and I can't wait to see you in a few hours.
With all of the love in the world,
Tobias

I laugh again as I fold up the letter and put in back in the envelope, hoping the next few hours will go by fast so I can finally just be with him.

Then mom starts on my makeup, beginning with the usual, foundation and concealer, then doing my eyes (sparky dusty rose eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara), then blush and highlight, and finishing it up with matte lipstick. I wanted my makeup to be pretty simple, nothing too outrageous.

After that, I wanted to get some cute pictures with my girls, so that's what we did. Before long, it was time for me to put on my dress. Mom got it off the hanger and brought it over to the chair with my name on it. Mom and Christina slide the dress over my head, and then Mom zips up the back. I slide on my Badgley Mischka shoes, after letting the flower girl, my cousin Mia's daughter, try them on. She's so adorable.

I get a few more pictures with the girls after they put their light blue dresses on and a few with Mom.

"You know you need something old and borrowed, right?" Mom asks me, and I just raise my eyebrows at her. "Turn around." I do as she tells me, and turn away from her. Mom lowers a necklace onto my chest so it lays just beneath my collarbone. My hand immediately tries to figure out what it is. "It was your grandma's. She gave it to me when I married your dad, and now I'm giving it to you," she says.

"Mom," I start, but get slightly choked up.

"Oh, don't cry, sweetie, you haven't even gotten married yet," she responds, making me laugh.

"Thank you, Mom, this means a lot to me."

"You're welcome, let's finish it all up now." I put on my dangly earrings after that, my engagement ring on my right ring finger, and Mom puts the veil in my hair, so it cascades down my back.