nineteen

I click my teeth and slightly dig my heels into my horse's sides. She, April, takes off immediately. It's probably been almost three years since I've ridden a horse, but it's still natural as ever.

I've been at my grandparents' house outside of Portland for the last four days. I love it, getting back into the routine I had when I was in high school here. I'd wake up at five am to feed the horses, then let them into the pasture then go inside to shower and do whatever else I needed to do that day.

When I was little I would show my horses at the fair, but once I got into the last year of middle school, I decided I just wanted to ride them for fun.

April jogs down a trail I love to take along a creek that runs by my grandparents' house.

After about ten more minutes on the trail, I have April turn around and start heading back to the house.

When we get there, I take off April's saddle and bridle and then brush her down. I braid her tail, and then her mane. I've always loved doing that.

She eats a green apple from my hand, and then I let her out into the pasture.

I walk towards the house, and take off my riding boots before going inside.

Grandpa is watching some old Wild West show when I walk in the living room.

"Mind if I check something really quick?" I ask, grabbing the remote.

"Go ahead," Gramps says. "I was just about to take a nap anyway."

"Thanks Gramps." I turn the channel to ESPN, which has Tobias's team playing.

They're currently winning, 3-2, but if they lose this, they're done in the tournament, and Tobias comes home.

As much as I wish Tobias was here with me, I really want him and his team to do well.

"Beatrice, can you come to the kitchen for a minute?" my grandma calls.

"Yep," I call back. I get up from the couch, and walk through the doorway into the kitchen.

My grandparents are hell-bent on always calling me Beatrice. So, I've given up asking them to call me Tris, or even just Bea.

"What do you want?" I ask as I rest my hand on the counter.

"Can you go to the grocery store? I have work to do in the garden, and I guess your grandfather is taking a nap."

" I can do that, yeah. Can I take the truck?" The truck is this blue rusty old thing that was my first car. It didn't last long as my first car, but nonetheless, it's still my first car. It's also the car that I learned how to drive in, so it has great sentimental value to me.

"Yes, you can, but be careful, she's getting old."

"I always am. What do want me to get?"

"Everything on this," she says and hands me a list full of groceries. "Here," she hands my two hundred dollar bills. "That should cover it, and you can keep the rest."

"Thanks grandma," I say and hug her.

"You better get going, those groceries aren't going to buy themselves."

"Okay, okay. I'm going." I grab the keys off the counter and go outside. I slide my boots on, unlock the car, and get in and start the ignition. The car rumbles and shakes for a bit, but then starts right up.