thirty-nine

"You're gonna lose," I say as Tobias and I run down the stairs to the basement.

"No, I think you're gonna lose. I'm the master at ping pong," he replies as we reach the bottom step.

"Um, aren't we forgetting who won the tournament during winter break? Sorry boo, that was me." The first week that we were home for Christmas, the whole gang had a ping pong tournament. None of us left the basement for four hours, and when we did, I came out as champion.

"I've gotten a lot better since then."

"Oh, sure," I respond sarcastically.

"I have!" he defends.

"And I believe you, you're just not gonna beat me," I say matter of factly.

"Well see about that," he says as we walk over to the ping pong table.

A half an hour and a ping pong game later, I come out as winner just like I said I would.

"I was going easy on you," Tobias says.

"You never take it easy on me," I respond, walking to him and wrapping my arms around his neck.

"Are you sure about that?" he asks with a silly smile.

"Uh huh," I say, returning the smile.

"Fine, I didn't let you win," Tobias says, giving in. My smile grows wider and he laughs at how childish it probably looks. "You're such a weirdo."

"Not as weird as you," I reply, pecking his lips and sprinting up the stairs. He chases after me, and I run all around the main level before dashing upstairs.

Tobias is right on my heels, but I make it into my room first and try to shut the door. He gets there before I close it all the way though, and sweeps me off my feet. I get placed on the bed, and Tobias starts to tickle me.

"Ahh," I screech while laughing. "Tobias–" I squirm as he continues to tickle me, "stop!" He does as I say, stopping and climbing on top of me. "You know I hate being tickled!" I laugh and lightly punch his arm. He just has a devilish smirk on his face as he tickles my side once more. I wriggle a bit and push him off of me and onto the bed. Tobias pulls me to him and I frown.

"Oh come on, you don't hate being ticked that much," he says to me, kissing my cheek.

I look the other way. "Whatever."

"Hey," he responds, grabbing my chin and making me look at him,"I love you, sweetheart."

The sweet and goofy nicknames never fail to make me smile. "I love you too."
✄ ✄ ✄ ✄ ✄

I walk out of the bathroom with a towel around my body while trying to wrap another one around my hair

I walk out of the bathroom with a towel around my body while trying to wrap another one around my hair. When I finally do, I notice a bluish-grayish dress and some brown heeled sandals laying on the bed with a note. I smile to myself as I pick up the note and open it.