2.8

Shiny, silver strands of garland decorated the walls. Silver lines were strung around tables and outside in the trees. Different concoctions of alcoholic beverages were on the kitchen island. People were laughing, dancing, and chatting while wearing different representations of the new year.

2106, here we come, Louis thought.

He found himself holding a glass of orange juice and vodka as he stood upstairs in the same room he'd played some silly spin the bottle game in months before.

Only his recent group of friends were up here, including Ed himself, who was overall ignoring Louis's presence. He'd even said hello to Harry, which, let's be real, was ridiculous.

Harry himself was sitting on the couch with fucking Ashton in his lap. It was a totally friendly thing, it seemed like, since Ashton had just plopped down when there was no room left, but Louis had told Harry he'd rather stand so it was Louis's fault for not taking the seat.

"Hey."

Louis jumped, tilting his head to see Zayn beside him. "Hello."

"Your boyfriend has a boy in his lap."

"He's not my boyfriend," Louis snapped before dumping some of the drink down his throat.

"You two shag and are 'in love', which makes you a couple," Zayn said in his soft voice.

"That's not... We aren't official," Louis retorted. "Besides, Liam has his eyes on Ashton and Harry-" Louis smirked as Harry happened to glance over and grin upon seeing Louis already looking- "Has his eyes on me."

Louis was satisfied now, but Zayn just gave a little jerk of his shoulders. "Do you think so?"

"What's the time?" Louis asked, desperately wanting to change the subject.

"11:56," answered Niall, who was climbing onto the ottoman. "Everyone quiet!"

All ten of the lads in the room looked up to Niall. It was still hard to hear with a party raging downstairs, but it wasn't too bad.

"Everyone in here must find a partner and you have to kiss them when the clock strikes midnight! We're all mates here, so don't be a pansy ass. Find a partner. It's good luck."

And Niall was down and latching onto Calum, his obvious partner. Zayn looked startled at the news. Liam had rushed to the opportunity and was casually leaning further in his seat to chat with Ashton, who's gotten out of Harry's lap as the lad made his way to Louis.

Michael and Luke seemed set to go, giving each other awkward looks occasionally but also sheepish smiles. The only free person in the room, besides Zayn, was Ed, so Zayn gave the ginger a raised eyebrow before making his way over.

Louis seemed content as his friends partnered up. "You're destined to have a good year with the person you kiss at midnight," Louis says, chuckling lightly as Harry grinned at him.

"I know I'll have a good year with you already, Louis. And next your's kiss will be with you as well."

"11:59!" Niall warned them.

"How do you know?" Louis asked as the downstairs area seemed to settle down slightly in anticipation for a new year.

"I don't, but I hope," Harry said quietly, pushing back Louis's hair. "What's your resolution?"