Chapter Four // James

After Louise had disappeared I began to walk home, my eyes just about seeing what was in front of me as they continuously closed. I think the feeling of loneliness and sadness keeps me awake at night, the only person who makes me feel less alone is Sophia. It should be Louise though, shouldn't it?

Me and Louise have been dating since my fourteenth birthday party and since then I've loved her more each day, even if we have drifted a lot in the past year. On that day we promised each other we would be together forever and I still believe we will be. She means the world to me and I would do anything for her, I would travel the world to see her smile.. I'd die for her.

I sighed loudly while walking into the small street in which my house sat, there stood my sister Laura at the front door. She was shouting through the letter box and groaning in anger.

"James!" She shouted happily when she noticed me, I approached her and opened the door. Laura always loses her keys and is never at home, it's a surprise when she shows up at the house. Most of the time she stays at her boyfriends house or is at work.

She ran into the kitchen and began to make some lunch, I watched her for a moment then headed upstairs to get into bed. I opened my bedroom door and kicked the dirty laundry out of the way which was spread across the floor, Bosley suddenly jumped up from my bed as soon as he heard me entering the room. Bosley is my dog, he is fourteen years old and my family have owned him since he was a puppy. I class him as my best friend, he sees me at my worst and gives the best cuddles.

"Hi boy!" I shouted in a babyish voice as his tail wagged quickly from side to side, I sat down on my messy bed and gave him a hug. Bosley curled up beside me before sighing loudly, I nodded and lay down beside him.

"Sophia is here! I'm heading out" Laura shouted before the door slammed and the light pitter patter of Sophia's feet travelled to my room, she ran in and gave me a hug.

"Yo yo yo" She said while hugging me tighter, I laughed slightly then we pulled away from each other.

"What's up?" Sophia asked with a frown, I don't even need to say anything and she knows I'm in a bad mood. I shrugged my shoulders and turned on the tv in my room.

"Louise I'm guessing?" She said a minute later, I nodded slightly and looked at her. Sophia stared at me and rolled her eyes, she gets worked up when Louise upsets me. Louise hasn't done anything wrong, I just miss the times when our relationship actually meant something to her. I love her to pieces and I want things to go back to the way they were.

"You need to talk to her about this, she might feel the same way about you guys drifting" Sophia said as I turned my back to her and watched The Inbetweeners, Bosley walked across the bed and sat down beside Sophia.

"Oh now you're ditching me too?!" I shouted at the dog, Sophia sighed loudly which made me pay attention to her.

"Please talk to her!"

"Fine, I'll do it soon" I groaned before grabbing Sophia's hands and pulling her across the bed, she laughed loudly and Bosley followed after her.

"I think my dog loves you more than he loves me" I said while letting go of her, Sophia sat up beside me and Bosley made a gap between us for him to sit. She nodded in agreement while laughing at the tv. I watched Sophia smile and began to get a funny feeling in my stomach, she glanced across the bed at me and we stared at each other for a second before the door loudly knocked and I looked away. My face went bright red.

"James let me in!!" Laura screeched from outside, when is she going to get her own key?!

I live with my mum, Laura and my cousin Oscar. Oscar is fourteen and we have to share the same room, which means the place is constantly a tip.

I groaned loudly and marched down the wooden stairs to open the door for Laura, she smiled at me then entered the house again.

"You need to stop losing your fucking keys" I huffed as she threw off her muddy boots and skipped upstairs, she popped her head into my bedroom and said hi to Sophia.

"Where's your girl James? Ditching you as usual?" Laura shouted from the top of the stairs, I rolled my eyes and made my way back to my bedroom where Sophia was laughing loudly at the tv.

"Soph, can we go for a walk?" I asked her quietly, she looked over at me and nodded before turning off the tv and putting on her coat. It was really cold outside as winter was slowly approaching even though it's always cold here, even in the summer.

Sophia linked arms with me and we walked down the forest pathway with Bosley struggling after us, he isn't very good with walks anymore as he is getting old. Sophia wore Rae's old beanie to keep her ears warm and my grey hoodie under her light coat, she looked cozy.

I really do need to talk to Louise about our relationship but she will get mad at me for thinking we are drifting. I get so nervous and scared when I have to have serious talks with her, I'd rather do that with Sophia as I have since we were little.

Sophia looked up at me as we walked down the frosty pathway, I locked eyes with her a moment after I realised she was looking at me.

"Stop worrying about Louise!" She shouted before nudging me, I tripped and almost fell over Bosley as he ran under my legs. Sophia began to laugh and I pushed her back forcefully without noticing and she fell into the bush behind her.

"Soph! I'm so sorry!" I shouted while trying to help her up, she pouted and pretended to be angry like she usually does before sprinting on and catching up with Bosley.