Chapter Sixty One // Fake Smile

- Sophia's POV -

"I don't think she got much sleep last night.." I heard James whisper outside my bedroom as I sat up and stretched, is he talking about me?

"Should I make her breakfast? I really don't know how to help her" I heard my mum reply to him, I stared at my door in confusion as to why they were talking about me outside my bedroom. I was obviously going to hear them..

"If you need me I'll be next door as always" James said to my mum, his feet thumped down the stairs and then he left the house. Looks like I'm stuck with my mum for the day.

The door handle began to move and I dived under my blankets to pretend I was asleep, I didn't want mum knowing I was snooping on their conversation.

"Sophia?" Mum whispered while tapping me, I groaned and pushed her away. She walked around my room for a few minutes while tidying the place up before pulling the blankets off my bed and leaving me curled up in a ball.

"It's almost 2:00pm.. You need to get out of bed" Mum told me with a frown, I nodded and sat up. I had the worst headache ever from all the crying I did the day before, I could barely remember the things I said to James.

"I have something to tell you.." Mum muttered a minute later, I looked up at her in confusion. When my mum pauses before telling me something it means it's really important or it could possibly upset me.

"Rae's funeral is in four days.. So I thought why don't I buy you a lovely dress to wear to-"

"Mum we aren't going on a girls shopping trip for a fucking funeral" I snapped at her before grabbing some clothes and storming into the bathroom, is she serious? Does she really think a shopping day will stop me from being sad?

"I was only trying to help but fine" I heard her say to herself as she walked passed the bathroom, I rolled my eyes and got changed quickly. My mum decided to take time off work to 'look after me' and I was already hating every moment of it.

I left the bathroom and walked downstairs to see what she was doing, she glanced across the living room with a sympathetic smile. I rolled my eyes again and began digging through my coat pockets which were hanging up on the door, mum watched me.

"I'm going to the shop" I said when I found a few pound coins, she stormed across the room while shaking her head.

"I have to keep an eye on you, you're staying at home alright?" She said while grabbing my wrist, I pulled away and laughed slightly before turning away from her and leaving the house. She can't keep me locked away all day, that will definitely make things worse. I looked back as I walked away from the house to see her peering out the window with a frown on her face.

I pulled out my phone and messaged Iris;

"Yooo. Are you in college? If so I'm picking you up x"

I made my way to the shop to buy some energy drinks to keep myself awake for the rest of the day, I may have slept like a baby with James by my side last night but I had never felt so drained and tired in all my life.

"WHY IS IT SO SUNNY?!" I shouted while walking along the road, the weather here is really weird. Last week we had floods and storms and now it's like we are in Portugal.

I entered the shop and bought two energy drinks, the woman who was working looked me up and down with a look of disgust.

"What?" I asked angrily, she looked away quickly and pretended she didn't hear me. I left the shop and walked to college to wait for Iris to finish her classes. As I walked I opened an energy drink and began downing it until I felt like someone was staring and judging me just like the lady in the shop. I stopped walking and looked behind me to see Zane, my ex boyfriend staring straight at me.