Chapter Ten // Elise

I quickly got changed out of my bright blue plastic bag uniform and threw it into my tiny locker, I felt privileged that I had a place to keep my belongings safe even though I was only volunteering for a few weeks. I lifted my handbag from the locker before leaving the room and walking through the busy corridors. The crazy thing about hospitals is they are never quiet, there is never a dull moment anywhere.

"See you tomorrow at 7am Elise!" My 'boss' shouted as she waved at me, I waved back and sighed quietly. Early mornings? No thanks. I don't think my boss was very happy with me beginning to watch Frozen with Rae earlier, it is my first day and I wasn't being very professional. But who cares? I'm a cleaner after all! I had a good time hanging out with Rae.

I walked passed her hospital room and peeked through the window, she was alone again but fast asleep.. she looked so peaceful. I stopped walking and admired her for a moment, I may have only met Rae but I could tell she had a beautiful heart. I smiled to myself slightly before walking on and finding my dad who was waiting for me at the front of the hospital.

"How was your first day then?" He asked as we walked to the car, I shrugged and opened the car door.

"It was good, I made a friend who is also obsessed with Disney so I'm glad I chose this job" I said with a grin spread across my face. Dad rolled his eyes and began to drive home, it was getting dark outside and it was oddly silent. I rested my elbow on the car door and glanced out the window at the street lights and random people we drove passed.

We stopped in traffic just beside the train station where so many people crowded on the platforms waiting for the train, there was one couple in particular that stood out in the crowd. The tall brown haired boy continuously trying to hold a girly red heads hand but she aggressively pushed him away every time. That looks like a love hate relationship.

"I wonder what's going on over there" I muttered while watching the couple, the boy looked sad as she kept rejecting him. My dad glanced over and laughed.

"Someone's playing hard to get" He said before we drove off.

As soon as we got home I ran up to my flowery pink bedroom and threw my handbag on my desk.

"Elise can I come in?!" Erin shouted while repeatedly banging on my door, I rolled my eyes and quickly got changed into my Olaf pyjamas.

"Come in" I said, the door burst open and Erin gave me an unexpected hug. She pulled away and I looked at her as if she had four heads.

"I just missed you that's all" She said in her squeaky voice while shrugging her shoulders. Erin is my eleven year old sister and we get along most of the time.. But when we do argue the grudge will last all week (possibly longer).

"What did you do in school today?" I asked her while logging onto Twitter on my laptop and checking up on everyone online.

"Oh just the usual.. Work and stuff" Erin said while poking around my belongings on my shelf, I looked back at her and told her to stop.

"Dinner will be ready soon!" Mum shouted which made Erin sprint out of my bedroom finally leaving me alone, I relaxed in my leather chair and closed my eyes for a moment.

My bedroom door knocked again and I groaned loudly.

"Erin go away please!" I shouted in frustration, the door slowly opened and there stood Kelsey my good friend from school. She stared at me awkwardly as I began to laugh.

"Sorry for shouting at you" I giggled while jumping out of my chair and giving her a hug, she smiled slightly and sat down on the floor.

"How did your volunteering go?" I asked her.

"Mine went great! Helping in the primary school is amazing. What about you?" Kelsey said with so much enthusiasm.

"I had a good time, cleaning isn't very fun but I met a lot of lovely people" I smiled thinking about Rae.

Basically my whole year in school have to do a few weeks of volunteering which I find stupid, we're going to miss out on learning but nobody is complaining about that. Most people are doing clothes shops, beauty salons, schools and of course car mechanics. I was the only person who chose different.

Kelsey began to tell me about all the children in the class she was helping in and how much they adored her, she seemed passionate about working in the school so I was happy she found something she enjoyed. I definitely do not want to do cleaning for the rest of my life.

"It's time for dinner!" Erin screamed at the top of her lungs, I helped Kelsey up and walked her to the front door before saying goodbye then joining my family at the dinner table.

I told them about my day while my dad scoffed down his potatoes at the other end of the table. I told them about Rae and how lovely she was, how we like the same music and movies. I told them about the old man who threw up his lunch and I was forced to clean it.. ON MY FIRST DAY. I told them about the cafeteria for the doctors and how it is spotless but the wards where patients stay are completely opposite, how my boss was mad at me for not taking the job seriously and wanting a longer break. Also how the sunrise looked at 7:00am and how the sunset looked at 6:00pm.

Over all I had a good day, I'm excited for tomorrow.

"And what about you Erin? How was your day?" Mum asked with a cheesy smile as she glanced over to Erin who was covered in food. Here we go..

"When I woke up I was excited to see Leah and Sarah but we had been fighting yesterday over a game we played at lunch time and-"

DO YOU SEE WHY I DESPISE HER SOMETIMES?