Chapter Forty Four // The News

- Sophia's POV -

I made my way home from the shop where I picked up an energy drink and some sweets for later, I was planning to watch a movie and treat myself for once. I took my time walking because I didn't have much to do today anyway, so why rush? I approached my house before noticing James leaving his house with a list in his hand, he saw me looking at him. He lowered his head and continued to walk, why is he ignoring me?

Ever since the day that I cared for him during a breakdown he has ignored my messages, calls and even seeing me in person. Have I done something wrong? I walked after him while sighing loudly.

"James!" I shouted angrily, he stopped and turned to look at me.

"Can you please tell me why you are ignoring me? What did I do?" I asked while crossing my arms, he rolled his eyes before trying to walk away. I grabbed his arm so he couldn't walk off on me.

"I'm just really busy okay? I need to look after Dale" He muttered while not making eye contact with me, I let go of his arm and laughed loudly.

"Dale is seventeen years old, I think he can care for himself" I said rudely, what a dumb excuse. James stared at me in disgust as if I had killed his whole family.

"You have no idea what has been happening the past few days with him.." He whispered while screwing up his face, I sighed loudly before smirking.

"Well you have no idea what has been happening with me either. Have you seen your ex girlfriends broken nose?" I asked before laughing loudly, James' eyes widened.

"What the fuck did you do to her?!" He shouted, I began to skip in the direction of my house.

"Nothing at all!" I shouted before slamming the door when I entered my house. I stood still at the front door before opening my energy drink and taking a few sips.. then I had an idea. Why not go into town for the day?

I sat down in my living room and got out my phone to message Iris to ask if she wanted to join me, it seemed as if she had been ignoring me the past few days too.

"Hey sunshine, wanna go shopping with me? I promise I will buy you something nice because you stuck up for me in college the other day xx"

I waited patiently for a reply but I didn't get one, half an hour passed and I was still waiting for her to answer me. Screw it, I'm going alone.

I freshened myself up before heading to the train station to catch the next train into town, time to kick anxieties ass once again. I was feeling positive today even though it felt like the whole world was ignoring me but that meant I could have time with myself and not worry about others like I do every single day.

The train was empty which was a good start, I listened to music without any interruptions. When I arrived at the town I headed straight to the shops because buying new clothes always makes me feel good about myself.

Sidenote; If you ever want to buy me clothes, always look out for the pastel coloured clothing and the smallest size. I am bound to love it then!

I looked around every clothes shop in town before my stomach rumbled loudly and a group of old ladies stared at me. That's my cue for lunch..

I walked around looking for a suitable place to stop for a bite to eat, I came across a sit in chippy that had just opened this month and it looked lovely inside. I entered the chippy and sat down on the comfortable sofas beside the door, it was very crowded.

"Just wait here and then I will call you when a table is free" A waitress said to me, I nodded and smiled at her. I sat patiently while watching the people who worked in the chippy rushing around with five plates balanced on their arms, they must have super powers to be able to do that. I was intrigued by the stressed manager who was almost pulling at her hair because of how many people were lining up to buy food.

Suddenly my phone buzzed loudly, I rummaged through my handbag before finding it and checking my messages. It was Rae's mum..

"Can I call you?x" The message read, I looked up with a blank expression on my face as to what this call could be about. It could be anything.. I snapped out of my deep and dark thoughts before replying.

"Of course, call me whenever xx"

I left the chippy because it was too busy inside for me to take an important call like Rae's mum. I sat on a bench outside not far from the chippy and anxiously waited for my phone to ring. I took a few deep breaths before I felt the vibration of my phone in my hands, I answered immediately.

"Hi! How are you?" I shouted nervously, the phone call was silent for a moment and I held my breath.

"Sophia? Hi hunni" Rae's mum said, I smiled slightly because believe it or not I missed her voice. She is like a second mother to me. We had a casual conversation for a few minutes before she told me the real reason she called me so suddenly.

"I had to call you and tell you the news Sophia because I felt like you deserved that.." She explained, news? What does she mean?!

"N-news?" I stuttered nervously.

"Basically early hours of yesterday morning Rae slipped into a coma.. They are unsure of how long it will last or-"

Hold on a second.. Rae is in a coma? My best friend who told me a few days ago that she was improving and that she would be out of hospital in weeks to come.. She is in a coma?

I cried loudly down the phone to Rae's mum, I told her how sorry I was and that I would do anything to help them. She thanked me before hanging up the phone and leaving me alone in the middle of town to have a breakdown.

I brought my knees to my chest and buried my face while still sitting on the bench, I couldn't breathe properly and I didn't care that everybody was staring at me.

I tried my best to unlock my phone and then call Iris, I needed somebody to come and find me. I couldn't move from this spot. I was at rock bottom. My hands shook aggressively as I waited for Iris to answer the phone but she never did, my message from a few hours ago was still unread.

"Excuse me?" A woman said, I looked up at her through my blurry sore eyes.

"Do you need me to call somebody for you?" She asked while searching her pockets, I shook my head quickly before crying louder and hiding my face again.

I searched through my contact list for somebody to call but I could find nobody but James, I pressed call and waited while sobbing uncontrollably.

"Sophia I told you I'm busy! I-" He stopped shouting once he heard me crying like never before, I could barely tell him what was wrong.

"Sophia? What's going on?!" James said, he was panicking. I told him where I was and what had happened.

"Stay where you are okay? I'm coming to get you and I will stay on the phone until I am there" He said reassuring me that everything would be okay. I nodded even though he couldn't see me.

"Here you go.. I don't have any tissues so I asked that chippy to give me napkins" The woman from earlier said, she returned and handed me a few napkins to wipe my tears with. I tried to thank her through my shaky breath and she gave me a hug.