Chapter Forty // Helpful Strangers

- Leila's POV -

It had been several hours since Dale left and he definitely should've been back by now unless something was wrong. The strange guys kept me tied up in the same room for hours, none of them entered the room to check if I was still there either.

I was literally bait, if Dale didn't listen to them then I'd be the one to pay the price.

"Why is this asshole taking so long?!" I heard the leader of the gang shout, he was pacing up and down the corridor outside the room I was locked in. Suddenly somebody entered the unknown building we were in.

"Dale was caught! The police have him!" The person shouted, I began to struggle and try to get out of the ropes which tied my hands together. I have to go and help Dale! One of them stormed towards the room I was in and opened the door, I froze and stared at him.

"Dale failed! Guess what that means Leila?" He said before reaching into the back pocket of his jeans to reveal a knife. My eyes widened as he walked towards me with a knife in his hand, he held it up as if he was about to stab me to death. Is this really happening?

His hand flew forward and I dived to the right just in time, the knife cut right through the ropes around my wrists. I jumped up from the chair and punched him in the nose causing him to fall down.

"Help!" He shouted while covering his bloody face, I backed away slightly as three more guys ran into the room. One of them began to laugh loudly.

"You got beat by a girl!" He shouted while pointing at the guy on the floor, I grabbed his arm as he was distracted and twisted it before throwing him across the room.

The other two worked together but their plan failed, they cornered me before counting down silently and jumping on me. But instead of doing so they thumped heads and I made my escape.

I sprinted down the small corridor and out into the fresh air, it felt good to see daylight. I ran as fast as I could down the hill and under the motor way to look at signs, I had no idea where I was.

There was a phone box not far from where I was standing but then I began to hear the shouts of the guys who held me captive, I made my way to the phone box before calling the police.

"H-Hello?!" I shouted, I was clearly out of breath. I sat down in the phone box so the guys wouldn't see me. There were four of them in the distance searching for me.

"I was held captive by a group of men, they forced my boyfriend to deliver cannabis but he got caught and now he's in trouble" I explained while gasping for breath in between every few words.

"Where are you madam?" The woman calmly asked me, I glanced around looking for signs but it was no use.

"I have no idea, I'm in a phone box" I laughed nervously, the woman said that they would track the phone box's location and find the group of guys quicker. I put down the phone and continued to watch them looking for me, how the hell am I going to get away from them?!

I opened the door of the phone box slowly and sprinted in the opposite direction, they thankfully didn't see me at all. As I ran down the small road which was linked to the motorway there was a sign which lead back to town, the one where my grandmother was in a care home.

I waited at the side of the road unsure about how I was going to get back to my grandmother, I needed a plan and fast before the guys found me. There was a bus stop not far from where I was standing, it was my only chance to get back.

I made my way off the motorway and across the street to a bus stop, the bus came in no time which was a relief. I waited for my turn to get on the bus behind a lady, she paid for her ticket and then found a seat. I sighed and approached the bus driver.

"Look.. I don't have any money and I'm not from here. I'm in trouble, I need to get back to my grandmother and this bus is the only way I can do so" I explained to the bus driver while nervously playing with the sleeves on my jumper. He smiled at me and nodded.

"Have a seat" He said quietly, I thanked him and sat down at the front of the bus. We began to drive off and I looked back at the empty street where the guys who held me captive were once standing, lets hope I NEVER see them again.

All I wanted to do was find Dale, he was trying to protect me and he is the one who gets in trouble. I feel bad and also terrified, I hope he is okay.

I lost my train of thought for a moment while gazing out the window at the blue sky, there wasn't a cloud to be seen. My eyes began to water from staring for too long and I glanced down at the street we were driving through. We stopped at a red light and a black jeep pulled up beside us.

I looked down at the jeep and recognised the two people in the front of the vehicle, I squinted my eyes and stared for a while longer before realising it was them.. It was the group of guys who held me captive.

I ducked under the window quickly, my heart was pounding out of my chest. An old woman across the bus stared at me weirdly before looking away and shaking her head. The bus began to move again and I peeked out the window to see them still beside us! Do they know I'm on this bus?!

I needed a better plan than heading to the police station by myself, they would definitely find me then. Suddenly I had an idea.. James! Dales best friend will help me!

I stood up and made my way to the front of the bus and held onto the bar beside me. The black jeep was no longer near the bus, it stopped right next to the street in which James lives on.

"Thank you for everything" I said kindly to the bus driver, he smiled widely at me and I ran to James' house. I didn't know how much time I had left before the guys who wanted to hurt Dale would get to the police station, they were capable of anything.

Before I reached James' house I saw him walking down the street with a huge bag on his back, I watched him for a moment before approaching him.

"James!" I shouted before leaning over and gasping for breath, he looked surprised to see me.

"Leila?! Aren't you suppose to be in Italy? Does Dale know you're here?" He shouted in shock, I nodded and stood up properly.

"Dale is in trouble.." I whispered with a frown, James looked terrified. I could tell he cared about Dale more than anyone else did, even his own family. I told James what had happened and where Dale was, he dropped the huge rucksack he was carrying and sprinted to the police station. I followed after him.