Chapter Fifty Five // The Sky After A Storm

- Sophia's POV -

"Have you been talking to Rae? How is she doing?"

"Soph?"

"Sorry, what did you say?" I asked my mum while snapping out of my daydream. Mum, dad and my sister stared across the dinner table at me.

"Are you alright?" Dad questioned, I nodded and grabbed my fork to force feed myself the potatoes on my plate.

"S-she's uh.. As good as she can be I guess" I muttered, my mum nodded with a smile and got back to her meal. The truth was I had no idea how Rae was feeling, I had barely messaged her since she woke up. I'm not sure why I was so terrified of speaking to her, I think it was because I knew she was so close to death but she didn't actually leave us. It's freaking me out that she wasn't in reality but stuck inside her head for a whole week without being able to return to the real world.

I stared at my dinner plate before feeling sick, I held my stomach and ran out of the kitchen and upstairs to the bathroom. Mum followed after me and held my hair back as I threw up those awful potatoes she made.

"What's up with you Soph? Aren't you happy she is awake?" Mum asked me after I had finished throwing up my entire stomach, I looked back at her angrily.

"Of course I'm bloody happy she is my best friend!!" I shouted at her, she stepped back and held up her hands.

"Act it then?!" She stormed out of the bathroom and left me sitting on the cold tiled floor. The front door began to thump loudly, I quickly cleaned my face and answered it to see Iris with a smile on her face.

"Fancy a walk?" She asked, I nodded and grabbed my coat. I'd do anything to get away from this house. We linked arms and headed to the pathway which I usually walk on with James.

"How did you get here? Did you walk?" I asked Iris, she nodded proudly. Iris lives at least twenty minutes away from my house and it's a long walk across busy roads and crowded streets.

"I missed you so I had to visit" She explained, I smiled at her and we continued to walk.

"So whats going on with you Iris? Justin? Your family?" I asked her in confusion, most of what Iris was going through was a blur to me because of the awful things that had been happening lately.

"Justin, I still haven't spoke to him since my birthday and my family.. They are dicks" Iris said with a grin, I frowned at her and shook my head. Iris doesn't like to open up about her feelings or things she is dealing with. She would rather ignore it and pretend that she is happier than ever.

"I've been talking to Rae a lot, she seems to be doing good" Iris said a minute later, I looked down at the ground and nodded.

"Yeah.."

"She said she misses you, have you not messaged her?" Iris asked, I looked up at her with a straight face.

"Of course I have she is my best friend, I was texting her last night" I smiled at Iris and she smiled back. I wasn't lying to her, I did message her last night but only once to check up on her. I feel like such an awful person, she is sick and needs support.

"How about we go to the hospital?" I said to Iris, it was as if a light bulb had appeared above my head. I could visit Rae and give her a huge cuddle because that is much better than text messages. We agreed on visiting Rae so instead of taking a walk in the forest we ran in the opposite way to get to the hospital before visiting time was over.

We stopped at a garage on the side of the road to buy some flowers for Rae and her family, Iris paid for them because I forgot to bring money but I thanked her constantly as we ran down the street. The heavens began to pour with rain, I grabbed Iris' hand and we sprinted as fast as we could while laughing loudly at each other.