Chapter Thirty Four // The Love Triangle

- Sophia's POV -

I ran after James the minute I hung up the phone with Rae, he seemed to be really upset judging by the way he was rushing down the street. He turned the corner and began to run down another street filled with huge expensive houses.

"James! Where are you going?" I shouted while struggling behind him, I'm not very good at anything to do with moving from my bed. When I went to school I avoided physical education at all costs, I hid in the locker room and ate crisps.

He stopped running and turned around to face me, he seemed surprised that I was there. He approached me and I noticed that he was crying. In all the years of knowing him I had never seen him cry before.

"How did you know I was here Soph?" He asked with a frown on his face. Do I tell him the truth?

"I followed you here hours ago and waited for you to leave Louise's house before chasing after you again"

...That sounds wrong.

"I decided to go for a walk I guess" I mumbled nervously. He didn't even question it like he usually would, he just nodded and glanced at the ground.

"What happened?" I asked quietly, he shook his head and didn't make any eye contact with me.

"Louise clearly doesn't care about me any more, maybe she never did" James said, I put my hand on his shoulder and smiled sympathetically at him.

"I guess I don't deserve to be loved" He said a moment later, I held my breath and refused to speak. I know if I open my mouth everything will come out and it will make the situation more complicated than it already is.

"Yes you do, so many people love you. Your family love you very much" I said while smiling with my hand still placed on his shoulder, he didn't answer but instead took my hand in his.

"That's lies and you know it, I'm a waste of space to them" James mumbled while admiring my hands, my cheeks were red but he didn't notice as he hadn't looked up.

"Well I know someone who definitely loves you" I whispered, he laughed to himself before looking up at me and immediately realising how flustered I was. Did he understand now?

"Tell me.."

"Isn't it obvious?" I asked, my voice shook as I spoke. We stared into each others eyes and I felt like I could read his mind because in that moment he finally understood.

I had a strong urge to kiss him, how would he react if I did? He had a grin on his face even though his heart was breaking from whatever had happened with Louise, his eyes were still red from crying but they looked so alive. I leaned in and that's when James realised what was about to happen and stopped himself.

"Soph, I love you a lot but I can't" He said quietly while awkwardly looking away, I think I just messed everything up. Well done Sophia! I let go of his hands and stepped back before putting my hands in my pockets.

"I have a girlfriend" James said, he bit his lip and stared at me. I know James isn't the cheating type but Louise definitely is, she has cheated on him more than enough. I wanted to tell him off for not following his heart but also for still being with a lying slut, I held my tongue because I knew that would cause an argument.

"I'm just going to go.." I muttered before turning in the opposite direction and walking off, James said nothing before walking the other way too.

- James' POV -

The moment I had always dreamt of almost happened and I stopped it, why did I do that?!

The craving to kiss Sophia has always been there and I never really noticed it. Whenever she is close to me I can't help but admire how beautiful she is, her almost invisible freckles which cover her nose and those intriguing eyes.

I walked slowly down the street while continuing to look back just to check if Sophia had came running back to give me a hug like we usually do every time we part. I felt uncomfortable and weird after almost kissing her because I'm with Louise and cheating is not something I would ever do, especially to someone as special as Louise.

I love Louise, I really do but..

I'm in love with Sophia.

I always have been, ever since we were little and spent every single day running around pretending to be wild animals or watching cartoons on the TV together. The horrible sleepovers when Zane had broken her heart and I was the one picking up every piece, keeping her sane through the panic attacks about exams and looking after each other when things were going wrong in our families. She protected me from myself when I used to drink to forget, instead she would make everything bad go away just by smiling at me. Her constant reassurance that she would be beside me through all the pain and misery and she has kept her word. When I was upset even if it was about the stupidest thing she would be there in a split second to hold me and cheer me up, I owe everything to her.

"Fuck!" I screamed angrily as I shook my head. What the hell am I going to do?

My phone vibrated and interrupted my adoring thoughts about Sophia. It was Louise..

"I'm sorry okay? I can't let my mum hate me any more than she already does, please let me apologise in person tomorrow, meet you at the cafe? xx"

I completely ignored her text and continued to walk down the empty streets then I realised the main reason why I was out at this time of the morning.

Where the fuck is Dale?

I called him while making my way back home but he didn't answer, I put it in my head that he had went back to my house after Iris' birthday party and then fell asleep as soon as he got back.

I do not need more stress, I'm practically in a love triangle.

"Fine. I'll see you at the cafe around midday" I replied to Louise before entering my house and being attacked by Bosley. Me and Louise have a cafe that we always used to go to after school. It is really peaceful there and we would spend hours laughing and talking about everything.

"Dale?" I shouted around the house, Laura approached me from the kitchen with a cup of tea. She sipped it before feeding Bosley a biscuit.

"He isn't here" She said, I stared at her and began to freak out before sprinting out of the house.

"Good morning to you too James!" Laura shouted in the distance.