Chapter 41: Careless Mistakes

I sat in Michael's driveway thinking about what I was going to say to him. There was nothing else to say besides, hey man I thought you were my friend, but you've been crushing on my wife for years.

I don't know, this is just so hard. Never would I have thought that I would have to have this conversation with any of my best friends. You know, minus Luke, but that was different.
Why? Because I think that Michael could actually get Kalin. And that would kill me. Those two have always had a special bond. She told him everything, and apparently so did he.

Walking up to his door with the love box in my hand, I walked back down into his front yard. I took the box into one of my hands and chucked it at his front door.

Letters, pictures, songs, and CD's went flying everywhere. I watched as they fell to the ground, until Michael caught my eye in the doorway. "Calum, what the hell? What is this?" he came outside and stood in front of me.

I rolled my eyes and began to laugh, "Don't act dumb. You know what that shit is! It's the box that you gave to Kalin on OUR wedding day. Does that ring a bell?"

"Oh yes. You're just now finding it? Is this why I haven't heard from you in while?" A smug grin crept along his lips. I was becoming angry.

"I found it a while ago. That still doesn't make a difference on why you gave it to her anyway. She didn't want you then and she doesn't want you now." I said uneasily.

"Keep saying that to yourself, Calum, keep saying that until you start believing it. Look she may not want me romantically and that's fine, but she's a great girl to have in your life. Anyone would want her in their life. You've taken her for granted-"

I cut him off before he could go any further, "Don't even go there. I've given her everything that she has wanted. It's always been my priority to make her happy."

"I don't know if you just delusional about what happened this past year, or you're just don't care. Let's not forget about you humiliating Kalin by cheating! She has been publicly humiliated by someone she loves. Everyone knows that you cheated on her, and everyone thinks she's insane for continuing to be with you." He paused and waited for me to say something. I didn't, I couldn't. He was right. "Hell, I could've treated her way better in a month just by being her friend, than you have for two years!"

"You're right." I said breathlessly.

He stared back at me with cold eyes, "Then why are you here?"

All this is just because of my insecurities. Yes, I know Kalin loves me. But the way I've been treating her, she deserves so much better. Maybe Michael is better for her. I can't stand the thought of her leaving me. Regardless of how I've been treating her, she really means the world to me.

"I really fucked up. I needed someone to give it to me straight. Kali deserves better." I looked down at my feet. "Man don't be too hard on yourself. She loves you, and if she didn't want to be with you, I guarantee, that she would have left you already."

"She tried to." I looked back at him.

"But she didn't."

"No like she packed her bag, and tried to take Calla. I was certain that she was leaving for good. This was serious. I'll be shocked if I go back home and she's still there." I sighed and crossed my arms at my chest, "Why did you never take her from me? If it's something that you really wanted, why didn't you do it?"

"That's not something that friends do. It was never my intention to hurt you, or damage your guys' relationship. I just wanted her to know. I was going to tell you both, but the timing was just off," Michael took a deep breath, "You won dude. You've got such a prize, and I don't know why you keep hurting her."

It became silent as I tried to think about why I keep doing this to her. I'll profess my love to her and then just crush her like she's nothing. She deserves better.

A song that was too distant to recall began to emerge from Michaels pocket. He pulled out his phone.
Michaels eyebrows rose, "It's Kali." He showed me his phone. It was a picture of me and her when we went on our first tour together. What great times.

"Answer it."

When he did all I could hear were her faint sobs that came through the phone.
"Kali. Please calm down, he's right here. He didn't leave you or Calla. He's about to come home. Don't worry." Michael soothed her over the phone. He shooed me away and into my car.

I was about to cry. She thought I left her and Calla?
"Go home Calum. Make things right between you two." Michael patted my shoulder, "Treat her right before some other guy does." He whispered.

I brought my arm up slightly and gave him a faint wave. He remained on the phone with her as I left his house. No words could describe the way I am feeling right now.
Driving back to my house I couldn't help but think about everything I did to Kalin, what I did to our family.

I became scared to go inside of my home as I sat in the driveway.
What if she's already gone?

She's gonna leave me.

She'll never forgive me.
So many thoughts were going through my mind it was making me vulnerable. Tears were forming as I finally worked up the courage to walk in.
To my surprise, she was sitting there with Calla in her arms. The sight of them made the tears dance down my face. Totally ruining my manhood.

She looked at me and her eyes widened as her voice went into a high pitch, "Baby what's wrong? What happened." She held out her arms for me.
I trudged my feet along the carpet and gave her the strongest hug I've given her in a while. "Babygirl, I'm just so sorry. I did you wrong, and honestly I don't even deserve you anymore."

"I don't want to hear that." Kalin looked away from me and put Calla in my arms, "Don't say anything like that. Calum, you know how much I love you and that isn't going to change. No matter how bad you hurt me I'm always going to love you. It scares me, but it's true."

"But baby what I'm saying is, you are worth so much more. I haven't been able to prove to you how much you're actually worth. I believe that you've only settled, you could get a Prince if you wanted to!" She giggled and looked at me. I grabbed her hand, "What I did was wrong, and I hope that you can forgive me and that we can move on from this. I know that I am going to have to live with these mistakes for the rest of my life, but please don't make me do that alone. Please don't leave me, and I promise I won't leave you or my sweet girl." I kissed Callas tiny hand.

"Don't worry about me leaving, unless the prince comes around. I don't think I'll be able to handle myself." Kalin flipped her brown waves and fluffed it up.

"Oh shut up." I laughed along with her.

"Calum, really don't worry about that. From here on out, let's just pretend that nothing ever happened. We're kinda starting over." She kissed my cheek.

"That sounds absolutely perfect." Kalin moved in to give me a fast kiss. Calla began to give out little chuckles, which was just the cutest thing to hear.

I held out my arm for Kalin so she could cuddle with me and Calla. Now this is how it's supposed to be. Me, my wife, and our beautiful daughter. Kalin settled into my arm, "I can't wait to see what the future has in store for us."

Me either, Kali, me either.

***Hey guys, thank you so much for reading! I'm absolutely so sorry for the wait. SO much has been going on and, I just kind of needed a break. Everything was just so overwhelming, but I'm glad to be back. Don't forget to vote, comment, and fan! It really means a lot, love you babes!***