Chapter 1: Brand New Start

I slammed down the off button on my alarm clock to stop it from its obnoxious beeping.

I groaned loudly, turned over to face my window and thought about this would be the last time I'm able to look out my window for a while.

"Kalin, honey are you awake?" My mom knocked on the door.

"Yes mom, come in!" I called out for her.

My moms face peeked in the doorway. She walked over to my bed and sat down next to me. "How'd you sleep?" She asked. "Eh, pretty good" I sighed.

"I am really going to miss you mom. But I'm really excited to get to see Calum for the first time in forever!" I smiled.

My mom is going away to America for a business trip. So I get to stay with Calum and his mom for the whole summer!

She sighed and pulled me into a hug "I'm going to miss you too," she moved back to her original position.

"Please be good and keep in touch with me or I'll miss you too much and come home. I'm glad you get to see Calum too, its been so long! Well get ready and then I'll drop you off." She stood up and closed my door.

Cal and I grew up together due to our moms, they were best friends and spent every single minute together. therefore, me and Cal are best friends.

I haven't seen him since I dropped him off at the airport. We ended things that day, with us dating I mean.

We ended things on good terms and we said we'd try again once he returns, but I don't know. Things have really changed around here

I can't wait to be reunited with my bestfriend.

I stepped into my bathroom and stared at my reflection. My crazy, brown curls captured my attention.

I tried to smooth them down but failed miserably. I dropped my arms in frustration. I dropped each article of clothing and stepped into the shower.

----

I got my outfit that I had set aside for the longest: white crop top, denim high waisted shorts, red flannel, and red converse.

I finished dressing and stepped back into my bathroom to tame my, now wet, waves.

----

I grabbed my bags and headed downstairs almost falling I might add.

"Mom, I'm ready!" I yelled once I reached the bottom of the stairs.

Mom appeared from the kitchen with keys in her hand.

"Here," she looked up at me, tears flooded her eyes. "I won't be able to drop you off, I won't make it to the airport on time if I do. I love you so much," she chocked. "Have a fantastic summer. Stay out of trouble." She smiled at me.

I pulled her into a tight hug "I love you so much mom! Have a safe trip. Please stay safe call me once you get to America," I pulled away and smiled "I love you."

We carried my bags to my car. I hugged my mom one last time before pulling out of the driveway.

And with that I was on my way. I blasted the radio

"Here's 'She Looks So Perfect' by 5 Seconds of Summer" the radio announced.

I smiled once I heard Calum sing. He really does have a great voice and I'm happy that he gets to live his dream.

More songs played on the radio, but I paid no attention.

I was almost at his house and the memories flooded through my mind. The football games, the band practices, when I got to be with my favorite person in the world.

Smiling as I drove up the driveway greeted by his mom, Joy. She was always like a mother to me.

"Kalin!" She screamed as I opened the door and smiled at her.

"Omg, Mrs. Joy. It's been so long, I've missed you." I gave her a hug, "Oh I know," she pulled away and grabbed some bags "Now come, come. I'll show you to your room!"

Ah, she was still the perky, smiley woman she has always been. I followed her into the house, my mouth seriously dropped.

"Woah, Mrs. Joy it looks so different in here! I love what you guys have done!"

"Why thank you Kali," she walked up so many stairs and stopped by a door. "This will be your room,"

She opened to door and placed the bags she had on my bed. "As you know, Calum's room is across the hall. There's a bathroom in here."

I grinned, "Thank you so much for letting me stay here and this room," I spun around giggling, "but where's Calum?", I questioned.

"Really its no problem, you know you can always come over and stay as long as you want." Mrs. Joy straightened out the bed sheets. "Calum was supposed to be here when you got here, but he said rehearsals were going to run a little longer than he thought they would." She sighed.

"But trust me, if he isn't here soon I will drive and pick him up myself." She laughed to herself.

I laughed at her humor in herself.

"Oh okay, well let's hope he gets here soon I can't wait to see him!" I exclaimed. "I'll leave you be, get settled in." She started for the door. "Thanks again for letting me stay!"

I started unpacking my bags and putting my clothing in dressers.

I thought about when we reunite, 'Hey, long time no see' or 'Hey, much more popular version of Calum.'

Thinking about the moment, I felt arms wrap around my waist.

A raspy voice filled my right ear "KP! You're here!" the arms squeezed tighter "I missed you so much!"

I turned around causing the arms to fall to his sides. I awkwardly stared at him. His cute smile never left his face. The awkwardness was killing me softly, a smile started to creep on my lips.

"CALUM!" I jumped into his arms, he then picked me up and spun me around the room.